Hello all,

I found this thread by accident while googling about Dirverticulitis. I a 46years old male suffering from diverticulitis attacks. In the past two years, I've now had 7 attacks. For a while, I was ending up in E.R. every six or so weeks. My latest attack was a couple of days ago (March 7-8, 2011) and my previous attack was on the July 4th weekend, 2010. It is a terrible feeling where I vomit non stop till there are no fluids left so in my case, this adds to the cramping due to diverticulitis.

I'm interested in knowing what is the typical downtime if I get the diverticulitis surgery done, and what type of pain that is experienced immediately after the surgery and post surgery (going forward)

Also, can anyone recommend a good surgeon in the southern california area (LA and/or orange county) that performs these types of surgeries.

Everything is relevant to the skill of your surgeon and your physical conditioning. Had my surgery done April 2010. The pain meds they give you will obliterate any pain, just take the meds when you are scheduled to even if you think you don't need them. Depending on complications you should be back home in 5 to 7 days. I had to have an ileostomy done and wore the bag for 6 months then had it reversed in Nov 2010. Recovery time for reversel was much shorter. The biggest pain will be from the cutting of your abdominal muscles this you will get over in about 4 weeks. If you have to wear a temporary bag you may feel depressed but believe in yourself that this is only a blip in life and you will overcome it. Good Luck and God Bless.

i'm interested in the down time too, after surgery,my doctor recommented the surgery,i.ve had diverticulitis for 20 yrs but its getting more often these last to years,antibiotics takes care of it for about 3 weeks,then more of the same.like to here from someone who had the operation & if it made bowel movement better

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

I would like just people to tell me how there operation went&after sururery.don;t want to talk to doctors that ask for money.

I had the surgery on 9/23.  I couldn't drive myself for about 4 weeks.  I have an SUV and it hurts when you hit a bump.  My BF has a pick up and at least I could brace myself for the ride.  Too painful to lift anything for about 4-5 weeks.  Surgery was on a Monday and I was out of the Hospital on Friday.  It was very uncomfortable sitting especially in hard chairs.  Stnading for long periods of time proved to be just as uncomfortable.  I found reclining back was the best bet for a good 2 -3 weeks. Very difficult to walk but the more you can get out and walk the quicker your recovery time is.  I am still having some internal discomfort but I find the more I go out for walks the better I feel each day. I have not needed pain meds for about 3 weeks now.  I hope this helps.....WALK WALK WALK

So far I am very happy that I had the surgery....so far so good food wise!