Hello. My grandfather had to be operated because of a condition called diverticulitus. Everybody was so surprised that he needed an operation because they said this problem usually doesn’t require a surgery. I know that grandfather had a couple of rough nights with abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting and that mother was reducing his temperature. When he was diagnosed with this diverticulitus, a doc said he needed a surgery as it was serious. How come that some cases don’t even need a surgery and some people do?

Well, operation is usually needed when things get far too complicated. I will try to explain some thing about diverticula and diverticulitus. Diverticula is a bulging pouches that develops in digestive tracts of people older than age 60. Although diverticula can form anywhere, including in your esophagus, stomach and small intestine, most occur in your large intestine. Usually these pouches don’t cause any problems and people may not even notice they have them. However, they may become inflamed or infected and cause symptoms like your grandfather had. So, diverticulitis is when these pouches get inflamed. Mild cases of diverticulitis can be treated with rest, changes in your diet and antibiotics but serious cases like your grandfather’s may require surgery to remove the diseased portion of their colon.