I woke up on 11/26 with some pretty severe lower left quandrant pain. I initially thought it was an ovary cyst and tried to dismiss it. On 11/27 I went to urgent care.

They looked at my ovary, said it was fine, did a cat scan (with contrast) and saw inflammation in my large intestine, indicating diverticulitus. They put me on a 2 week bout of Cipro and Flagyl. The pain subsided marginally, but by 4 days after the antibiotics ended, the pain was getting severe again. I then saw a GI specialist, who ordered another round of antibiotics (this time Levaquin and Flagyl) and ordered another catscan which was done the next day. This catscan revealed no inflammation (indicating the infection was gone) He then ordered a colonoscopy.

He found no inflammation in my large intestine and said he was able to get slightly into the small intestine and it showed no inflammation either. There was a presense of a few diverticula, but no infection. He felt that my pain was not related to my GI tract and referred me to an OB/GYN for suspected adhesions.

I couldn't tolerate the pain and ended up in the emergency room. 4 different doctors/surgeons all basically said they didn't want to touch me. Nobody wants to confirm if the problem is adhesions or not. I've been doing a lot of research on adhesions and everything I've read has said that they generally create problems with a couple of months of surgery. I've not had any lower abdominal surgery since 05, and they have gone through the same incision down there 4 times (c-sections/hysterectomy). So I'm questioning if adhesions are likely even a variable.

All I know is that I've had a million tests. All of the scans come out okay. I had a CRP blood test done and it came back elevated, indicating there is inflammation, but again, no one gives me answers for anything. I just know that since that day on November 26, when I woke up with acute abdominal pain, it has never gone away. I don't know how much longer I can handle the 24 hour a day pain... it's really taxing for me, my family and my occupation (I've not been able to work at all since Christmas eve).

Does anyone have any experience with something like this? Any suggestions?

We are experiencing the exact same symptoms you mention above with my mother, she has been in the emergency 4 times. She has seen many GI specialists, all of which cannot find a reason for the pain. Her stomach is now swelling out 4-5 inches. She is at the ER again today and the doctors are not able to get resolution. If anyone has encountered this, please let me know!!!
Thanks

My mother is experiencing the same exact symptoms you describe, she has been to the ER 6 times with severe pain. She has a history of diverticulosis and she had an infection when everything started, but the infection is gone...the pain gets worse and her stomach is swelling out 5-6 inches. The doctors cannot figure out what is going on, they commonly put her on pain medication and send her home and the problem comes back a few days later. She cannot much eat and he stools are liquid and she has lost 15 lbs. Her GI doctor (3rd now) said the pain is coming from the muscle in the adomonal wall and put her on a high fiber diet, but its making this worse. I am avery conserned with her heath....what was the outcome on origonal post above?
Thanks.

I too have the same symptoms you write about. My doctor wants to remove a section of my colon and says in about 6 weeks I will recover. I have been putting this off hoping it would get better on its own but it has not.

I had horrendous attacks occuring many times over a 10 year time period, starting right after gall bladder surgery. One time, the pain was so bad, I had been sitting on the Dr's. waiting room floor, doubled over, clutching my knees to my chest. The Dr. said to me "I don't understand why you are in so much pain - your diverticulosis is not that bad!" I started doing research and found an article about Celiac Disease/Gluten Intolerance which damages the small intestine. On my own, I started on the G/F diet (BTW, that's a No No before being seen by a specialist to have the lab work). After a month, I consulted a Dr. who specialized in C.D. Although the small bowel biopsy was negative, she told me to stay on the diet. The terrible, terrible attacks have gone away. However, I do still sometimes have diverticulitis attacks. When I do, I go on a liquid diet as the GI doc always told me to do (With whatever frequency I need to not feel hungry, I have tea, boullion, broths, jello, clear juices, water, soda) for 3 days or until my bowel movements are clear and then I'm fine. I also take antioxident vitamins and herbals. Do the research.

Also, check out "the No Starch Diet" on the internet. As I recall, it eliminates the foods that starch-eating bacteria live on. It seems as if it is like the Atkins Diet which severely restricts "starchs", at least in the beginning.

Also, check out The Neanderthal Diet and good Luck to all.