I am diagnosed with diverticulitis, after I visited my doctor, complaining of abdominal pain. I guess tenderness around the left side of the lower abdomen gave him enough clear pictures to diagnose me. Problem was that I felt fever, nausea, vomiting, chills, cramping, and constipation as well. I am waiting to see how my treatment will be, but in the mean time I would like to hear something more about my condition.

Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots. They look like an inner tube that pokes through weak places in a tire. Each mentioned pouch is called a diverticulum. Pouches are called diverticula, and condition of having diverticula is called diverticulosis. When these pouches become inflamed or infected, the condition is called diverticulitis. This happens in 10 to 25 percent people with diverticulosis. Diverticulosis and diverticulitis are also called with one name as diverticular disease. Doctors are not certain what causes this infection. It may begin when stool or specific bacteria are caught in the diverticula. An attack of diverticulitis can develop suddenly and without any warning. Diverticulitis can lead to complications such as infections, blockages, perforations or tears, or bleeding. These complications always require to be treated to prevent them from progressing and causing serious illness.

mungo wrote:

I just had open surgery for diverticulitis disease. The only symptoms I showed was severe lower pain on the left, constipation and no appetite. My fever was low grade. Everyone's symptoms can vary. I do know that Diverticulitis disease can be very seriouse in some cases, as was with mine. There is alot of info on the computer about it.