I was admitted to hospital with Diverticulitus between from 26. Dec. to 30 Dec. 05. I had never heard of this before. I was on antibiotics for 18 days. I received no information about diet, was told to stay away from oranges and grapes, and when I asked why the nurse said that it was because of the "pips/stones". I was told to eat and drink like normal. I asked my doctor if I should talk to a dietician, but was told that this was not necessary, I could eat and drink as usuall, but it would be wise to increase my fiber intake. There is little info about diverticulitis and diets in books and on the Internet. Can diverticulis reacurre, and how dangerious is it. It was increadiably painfull. I am 37 years old and female, and have many many outlets. I was quite shocked when I saw the XRays, and am left with many thoughts, including if there is any research done in connection with stomach cancer. I perspire very much, an have a sour taste in my my mouth, constantly lying at the bach of my throat, and that same sourness can be smelt from perspiration, and often my urin can smell very very strong. I have mentioned this to my doctor, only to be told that we are all individuals with different bodyodours. Can this "sourness" have a connection to the Diverticulitus?

Thank You for your time

Hello! I would like to ease your mind about the connection of diverticilitis and colon cancer. You asked about the stomach cancer but stomach has nothing to do with divericulitis.

Diverticulitis is an inflammation of the pouches that were created in the colon. A person who suffers from diverticulitis is not at increased risk of colon cancer unless they have other problems associated with colon problems.

Yes, the symptoms of diverticulitis may return but there are little steps you could take to prevent this from happening.

So, diet…..i am not so sure why your doctor recommended you to eat normally when you should in fact eat high-fiber foods, such as fruits, vegetables, and whole-grain foods. You could also start taking fiber supplements but you need to be careful with these and drink plenty of water, so you wouldn’t cause constipation. You should also avoid the foods that could get stuck in the diverticula like sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and nuts.
You need to make sure that you are having enough sleep and rest and that you are exercising.

Diverticulitis can be dangerous if infected diveticula ruptures and spills intestinal waste into your abdomen and cause an inflammation of the lining of your abdominal cavity. This condition is very serious and can be fatal. So, if you experience the symptoms of diverticulitis attack again, see a doc write away.
There could be others, not so severe complications like formations of fistula or abscesses in the different parts of the intestines.