I saw Latisse being advertised on the web. Because I do have very short eyelashes, I am quite tempted to give this a go. I wear falsies for special occasions but would love to have naturally longer eyelashes that just need a stroke of mascara, with the help of a product such as Latisse. 

Because the eyelashes are so very close to the eyes, however, I can't help but think that it is bound to end up inside the eyes sooner or later. This concerns me. Would it cause irritation, conjuctivitis, or God forbid even blindness? These are the things I want to know before I try Latisse for longer eyelashes.

Latisse is FDA approved and it is definitely safe for most people. If you have conjuctivitis or a few other eye problems, it may not be the right eyelash lengthening treatment for you though. You can't use the applicator more than one time either, they are quite clear about that at Latisse and you have to enforce that strictly yourself. If you do, and you do not have underlying eye problems, then Latisse is not just safe but it also really works at darkening and growing your eyelashes.

Latisse was originally created as a medication for glaucoma I think? They were eye drops, meant to go inside your eye, in any case, and they were called bimatoprost. Latisse is FDA approved and relatively safe. However, like any other medication, Latisse too has potential side effects. These side effects can include red and itchy eyes and dry eyes. If you experience those symptoms, it is best to stop using Latisse. Cosmetically speaking, Latisse can cause a darkening of the pigment around your eyes as well as of your actual eyes. Hair growth may also occur around the eyes in places where you do not want it: this is powerful stuff, and it can make hair grow where none was present before.

Celebrity

Here we go again! Growing eyelashes and eyebrows is obviously a very popular thing, especially for those who have been a little too enthusiastic with tweezers, waxing or even shaving in the past for their eyebrows. Wearing false eyelashes and not removing them correctly can also damage your eyelashes.

Latisse is generally considered safe, but some people seem to get irritated eyes and hyperpigmentation from using it. In that case, the obvious advice is to try it out and to stop immediately, as soon as you notice any unwanted side effects. Castor oil is a popular home remedy for eyelashes and eyebrows as well, but that too comes with much the same potential side effects. 

Rosie

I read a New York Times piece about Latisse. Latisse is immensely popular and being sold practically everywhere that does facials, but it does not come without risks. They wrote that red, itchy and irritated eyes are the most common side effects. The skin of your eyelids can also turn a darker brown. Most interesting is the idea that Latisse can in rare cases turn lighter eyes, like green or light brown, darker brown. I am sure there are some people who would actually use it for that very purpose! It doesn't happen to everyone though, it's rare. The worst thing is that some people get dark circles under their eyes. Who wants that? It makes you look 10 years older and like you haven't slept in three days instantly! Apparently, these skin discolorations "may be" reversible, meaning that they also may not be. That is scary. Castor oil for what it's worth can also cause discoloration of the skin, but I have not heard that it can also change eye color. I have used castor oil myself and experienced no side effects but also not a lot of new hair growth. After reading what I did about Latisse I do not really want to use this product. I am wondering if any of the other eyelash growth serums on the market are better/safer?

Yes. There is a reason for which Latisse is a prescription only product, and of course, buying it off the web or using the medication Latisse was based on straight only increases the risk of side effects as you have no supervision.

Some other products labeled as having the capacity to grow eyelashes and eyebrows may be safer, but none are better than Latisse: many of these products contain nothing in the way of active ingredients that could possibly grow hair, though it is true that the simple act of massaging an oily substance into the lash/brow line may cause hair (re)growth in some people. In that case, why not go with the sesame or olive oil that is already in your kitchen? RapidLash was said to work for a while, however the active ingredient that made it effective no longer seems to be in it.

I have used Latisse for a while now with great results. I did read about the possible adverse effects before I started using it just in case but I really wanted longer eyelashes. Guess what? I know it is possible to experience these adverse effects, but myself I didn't have any of them. What I did get was mean eyelashes, girl! So I am assuming that the possible problems are quite rare but because they can happen, they have to be listed. I would not be too worried if I were you but perhaps stop using it as soon as you do notice anything bad?

Latisse is safe for the vast majority of people. It is, for instance, absolutely suitable for people who wear lenses. Redness and itching strikes some people, but obviously these effects wear off - if you get them at all - soon after you stop using Latisse. Do keep in mind that it is mean to be applied to the lash line, and not inside the eyes. And because some medical conditions don't do well in combination with Latisse, it is a prescription product. You need to decide whether Latisse is a good solution for you to achieve longer eyelashes together with your doctor.

Well, I'm strongly considering using Careprost at the moment and I get the total impression that it is safe, yeah. It's a prescription med in essence so though I did think of ordering it online I guess I'll do the sane thing and just ask my GP for a prescription because yeah, it can have some side effects like pretty much any med out there. Even ibuprofen gave me side effects believe it or not and I am now not using that again. That doesn't mean ibuprofen isn't safe, just that you have to use it with care, same with Careprost/Latisse as well. The potential for discolouration does worry me a bit but I've heard it's only temporary.

Of course it is safe. That is why it is available. I understand being scared when you see the list of possible side effects but none of them happened to me and four months on I finally have a very nice set of full eyelashes, so of course I am going to say Latisse rocks and you should use it. It really helped me. I had abnormally short eyelashes, not run of the mill eyelashes that I just wanted to improve on a little, and using Latisse has made a huge change to my overall look. I'm very happy with what it did for me.