Hello everyone.

My friend recently found out that her ex-husband is having some heart issues. Apparently, they got divorced because of this issue and he never wanted to tell her that he is sick. His doctor is good friend of her and he told her this.

Actually, he had aortic valve repair with an ascending aortic graft. Now she is extremely worried because she doesn’t know anyone with similar issue.

She asked me do I know anyone with this situation and I don’t.

But I suppose that you do know.

Can you tell me more about recovery time in this situation? Thank you.

Hey there. I understand that you are worried but there is no much thing that she can do for her ex. Recovery time is generally variable and a rule of thumb is that if you come to the hospital pretty much healthy, the recovery will be much faster that you can imagine. Tell this to her.

Patients with this procedure and this diagnose are usually healthier and surgery is usually very successful.

There are so many methods of recovery and for example the most important in this case is extremely positive mental attitude.

When you have good mental attitude I am sure that recovery will be much easier.

Of course, in the combination with medications and good diet program. He also needs to forget the stress.

Hello Make Me Coffee,

A friend of mine had had this procedure done a few years ago, I didn't really remember how long did it take for him to recover so I gave him a call.

He said that his recovery was similar to that of recovery from any open-chest procedure. He said that he was feeling better pretty soon but there were some things which were needed to be changed when it comes to his lifestyle.

He had to stop smoking, this was probably the hardest thing for him, he had to avoid heavy lifting and he had to maintain very good blood pressure control.

Hi everybody,

I'll definitely agree with La Yi La, I love what she wrote about this. Your mental condition plays the most important role when fighting with a disease or recovering from any procedure done. It is important for everything that happens to you in your life.

It is true that the recovery time is similar like in people who have had open chest surgeries done. It could take even years for your friend's ex husband to get back on his feet, to bring his life back to normal. I know a few people who had open heart surgeries and could never get back to their old exercising routine.

Hi guys,

Recovery time in this is pretty long, it takes years if the person isn't persistent and doesn't have a strong will for getting better faster. He probably already got his instructions from his doctor which include the diet that he should use, when can he start exercising, how hard and for how long, what he is allowed to do and what he isn't allowed to do. Keep in mind that he can't die or anything similar, he can only become very lazy, unwilling to do anything with an excuse that he can't really do anything because he had aortic valve repair with an ascending aortic graft.

Hello everyone,

It is true that the recovery period is very long and that some people never actually completely recover but it's all up to him, something like what La Yi La wrote. 

He needs to understand that the recovery period depends only of him, his will to endure and the fact that he needs to follow the instructions that his doctor gave him. I don't know was her ex husband lazy before or was he an athlete, I'm saying this because athletes are known to have a very short recovery time because they are mentally ready for fighting this and they get back to their feet pretty fast.

Hey there. I had problems with this and I think that I am pretty sure that I do know for how long recovery period does last. Well, in my case it was very, very long recovery time. Maybe because I am having some other health issues and I needed to be in the hospital for a very long time (more than three weeks I think). It was very tough for me because I needed to be still all the time while I was receiving the therapy. Even so I still believe that I am not recovered at all from this. And this can happen. People can recover from it for a long, long time.

I have personally been through a Fontan procedure in the late 80's. I am 30 years old and work in the emergency department at the local hospital where I live at and I am going to school to become a paramedic. I live life like a normal adult with little complications. I do take medications to regulate my heart rate and they work for keeping me out of SVT (supra-ventricular tachycardia). Hope this helps your friend