My sister was having problems with bulimia, she doesn't live with us so she did her best to try and hide it and she managed pretty well, until she ended up in the hospital two weeks ago. Our parents are still mad at her but I understand her and I really want to help her.

She got released from the hospital and now she doesn't quite know how much to eat while she is recovering from bulimia. I hoped that some of you here have some experience with bulimia and could maybe tell me more about this matter, thank you in advance.

There are rules which need to be followed when it comes to recovering from bulimia but I'm afraid that I cannot tell you much about these because I don't know them, hopefully someone else will.

I would recommend you, I would recommend your sister actually to go and talk to a dietitian. This person can give her the best insight on what should she eat, and in which portions. I think that she will have to have 3 meals a day with at least 4 hours period in between, plus 3 snacks. Anyway, she should talk to a dietitian to get more precise info.

Okay, she needs convincing about everything so I will go ahead and try to convince her to come and see this dietitian with me. Do you happen to know if these dietitians are expensive? I would like to pay this for her but I won't be able to do it if it is too expensive.

In case we don't get to talk to a dietitian, does anyone else have any other advice regarding which foods should my sister eat and how much of that food should she eat? I am not sure that she will accept to talk to a dietitian so this info will be useful.

They are not so expensive, I think you will easily be able to afford it.

I don't know, I would like to help you out but I don't want to give you an advice which might later be proven to be wrong. This is a very delicate thing and it needs to be taken care of with care. That is why I agree with Nina, it would be the best for her if you or she would consult with a dietitian in order to get the right instructions, in order to get the proper diet which is going to help her recover from bulimia.

Good day. I would recommend you to visit your doctor first, before you decide what is right for you. It is very hard to deal with eating disorders. But the most important is to organize your meals well. That means that you should have three meals and snacks in between. I would like to advice you that in afternoon, when you are choosing your snack, you should definitely choose and enjoy a cup of hot chocolate and a couple of chocolate cookies. Also, while you are recovering from bulimia it is very important to exercise. But I believe that your doctor will explain this to you.

Hey. You need to eat about 2300 to 2500 calories per day every day. That is something what my doctor told me and I was reading a lot about it as well. For example, your breakfast should contain about 400 calories. Your lunch should contain as well about 400 calories and dinner - well about 500 calories. Now, when you calculate all this you will notice how many calories you need to take more to have this number 2500. It is not that hard, it seems to everyone, but it is very hard for those who have eating disorders.

So I also advice you to go to see your doctor. Consult him. 

Hello friends.

Dear Guest, I am very sorry for your sister. When someone has eating disorder it is very important for that person to admit that he or she is dealing with this problem.

And you can deal with it, you can fight it...You should know that there is so many different options for the treatment of bulimia for your sister. Sometimes, there are some programs that require hospitalization because there is so many treatments available. Sometimes the patients need to stay in hospital because doctors will easily find their eating plans, etc. They will prescribe a good daily treatment such as therapy, groups, exercises and meals. 

Hi. I hope that you are doing fine. I am recovering from bulimia. At the beginning I believed that this is very easy and I believed that I can do this by myself, but I was wrong. That was really hard period of my life. So I have decided to go to the hospital and I didn't make a mistake. Doctors, therapists and bunch of experts were there for me, creating a menu plan for me, helping me in my treatment. You need to be aware that a medical doctor is very important to monitor your physical eating disorder symptoms, and on the other hand psychiatrist may be able to diagnose or treat any underlying mental disorders,. Nutritionist is also amazing and you’ll also want to meet with a dietitian so he can make sure you are getting the calories you need. That is why you need to consult someone who is an expert. I know this from my own experience.

I know one girl who also had problem with eating disorders. When she was diagnosed with bulimia she refused to visit someone who is an expert to help her. Of course, that was a huge mistake. 

I am reading your posts about calories and eating plans, how often to eat and when, and I am not so sure that everyone can have the same eating plan.

That is why you need to talk to someone who is going to create this eating plan for you. Trust me, this disorder won't let you struggle alone with it.  

I hope that your sister will recover soon.

Talk to a dietitian. If you want this to be done in a proper way, you need to talk to a dietitian and he will tell you everything that you need to know. I hate these eating disorders, they are the hardest, my relative had anorexia and it was so awful to even just look at her. She was fighting it but sadly, she wasn't strong enough to win this fight. She died a couple of years ago. That is why I am telling you to not play with these eating disorders and to talk to a dietitian in order to do this the right way.