Hello there,

A friend of mine just left hospital 2 days ago after he has been held there because of his bulimia.

His doctor told him that he should talk to a dietitian in order for him to get a proper diet plan that is going to help him recover from bulimia.

My friend doesn't really have any money for dietitians (they charge you a lot here) and he asked me to help him find the best diet plan for him. This was my first idea, asking here, I hope that someone has some advice and that someone can help us out.

Since this is a very nasty and serious eating disorder, you would probably want to consult a dietitian about it.

Dietitians are not that expensive, I have no idea which dietitians have you found but seriously, they are not expensive at all.

If you want to make a diet plan yourself, it is not a problem, the main problem is to stick to it. Just add some healthy food to his diet, make the portions small and tell him that he needs to chew on his every bite for at least 50 times before he swallows his food, this is very important.

I think that nutritionists made a three meal plan for people who are recovering from bulimia, three meals and two or three snacks a day with eating times spaced no more than four hours apart.

Basically, you get cereal for breakfast, one cup of milk and a piece of whole fruit like a banana or an apple.

For lunch, 1 ounce of turkey, chicken or lean roast beef with an ounce of cheese on two slices of whole-wheat bread paired with raw vegetable sticks and your favorite dressing for dipping. 

For dinner some fish, I suppose. These are just some examples.

I didn't know that people can end up in the hospital because of bulimia. Well, anyway, I'm glad that your friend got out of the hospital and that he is ready to start his bulimia recovery program.

I'm not sure, Deni gave you some specific things to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner there. I think that he is right, those foods seem like good foods for someone who is suffering from bulimia. It won't be easy for your friend to stick to that plan but if he really wants to get better, then he must follow the instructions, he can do it.

I don't know if you want me to be honest, I just heard that it is very expensive here.

He is pretty much determined to get better so I am sure that he can follow whatever he needs to follow and do whatever needs to be done in order to get better, I see it in his eyes, he really wants to change his life.

I found someone who was suffering from bulimia on the internet and she promised to send me the diet plan that she used back then today, hopefully, this should be good enough to help my friend.

First thing that you need to know is that you can't create a diet plan for recovering from bulimia alone. Somebody needs to create it for you. But you should definitely know that recovery programs that focus on food addiction and eating disorders encourage patients to eat a well-rounded nutritious diet.It is very important that every meal that you are eating has healthy balance of protein, vegetables, fruits and grains, of course, not in one meal but on the daily basis. Also it is very important to timing the meals, because timing meals at regular intervals and avoiding high sugar or high starch foods will help to eliminate cravings and regulate hunger. Good luck!

I totally agree with you 62. I had couple of friends who were trying to make a meal for themselves even if I was telling them that bulimia is really dangerous and that someone who is an expert needs to control it. It is not something that you should play with and you need to have that on your mind constantly. Anyway, meal plans for recovering from bulimia should definitely be structured with the help of a physician or professional who specializes in eating disorders such as bulimia and anorexia. On the other hand, patients should develop a list of foods they feel comfortable eating and all snacks and food that you ate later should be dosed and controlled as well.

I was dealing with bulimia as well and that was the hardest period of my life. Ever! When I was aware that I have problem, I choose to do something that can help me. I didn't just sit there with my hands crossed hoping that something can help me without do anything. Of course, I consulted my doctor and he made a eating plan for me, but also I have decide to find a way to help me. At the beginning, I choose my favorite foods and I was eating it. Also, I decided that I need to be brave on this one. That was my fight and I was playing the most important role in it. I found some good meal plans as well and lot of them had my favorite groceries so I asked my doctor can he help me combine them with his eating plan. And he helped me in this as well.

It is good when you are aware that you are dealing with eating disorder and when you know that you can help yourself and you don't refuse help from the doctor. That is really cool. But a lot of people just can't understand that they are dealing with something like this. That is why they need someone who will tell him to go to the doctor and nutritionist. People should also know that  eating regular, balanced meals will help them very soon to see the amazing benefits in recovery.

So, like others told you, it is nasty and really serious eating disorder and you should anyway consult someone. 

Dietitian should be your first choice indeed. I think that it doesn't matter how brave you are or how you know well yourself, but sometimes it is very important to get a help from the expert because he is the only one who knows how to combine some of the meals properly. 

I admire to the people who are dealing with it alone, and trust me, there are so little people who can do it, but it is not the same.

Getting help from someone who is an expert should be your first choice and this professional will create a menu plan that totally fits you.