I would like to shed a few pounds. Quite a few, to be honest. Since some form of physical activity can’t be avoided I am thinking about various aerobic classes. Water aerobic classes seem particularly attractive. I wonder if they are effective. Or should I try something else more efficient?

To be able to lose fat you must burn more calories than you eat. Or eat less than you burn. One way or another you have to create caloric deficit. Physical activity can help you achieve that in many ways. One of them is speeding up your metabolism. Thus you will continue to burn more calories even at rest. Any physical activity that lasts for at least 20-30 minutes is good. However doing high intensity interval training and lifting weights accelerate your metabolism far beyond what any other exercise can do. Water aerobics are also moderately effective and lot of fun. So I see no reason why shouldn’t you start those classes.