Hello, I've only just gone into high school and almost the end of the year. I came here to ask if I have anxiety as I have done some research and have had some symptoms of anxiety such as chest pains,panicking,crying and short of breath and can barely breath. I have not told my parents that this is happening to me and I don't want to ask them to see if I can go see someone as I'm to shy. My girlfriend has anxiety and she had helped me a lot and has taught me how to calm down but sometimes it doesn't work. I have these symptoms for a while and takes me time for me to come out of my room and continue on with my life. My school also puts a lot of pressure on students and I've only been 3 days back at school and I have 2 assignments and have a test coming up and I had I really big panicking attack a few hours ago. I'm also 13 and in grade 8. I also can't cope with big changes in my life and stress out over them and panic. Anxiety also runs through my family.

I also get reallly depressed. I always get sad and just shut my life out and think about suicide and cutting.

Hi John
There are a lot of things going on that can cause stress and it sounds like you are overwhelmed at times with what is going on in your life.
There are lots of different techniques you can use to calm yourself and reduce stress if you have been searching about anxiety issues you may have come across some techniques.
Self-care is very important especially when the anxiety and panic attacks are affecting your daily life and how you function.
Since anxiety issues run in your family your parents will be more than understanding and will want to do whatever it takes to help you.
It may be difficult to talk about but there is no shame in telling them what is going on and asking to see a councillor these issues tend to not resolve themselves and with the right support you can develop coping methods to help reduce your anxiety and lessen the impact it has on you.
You could dry doing searches on relaxation techniques for teens.
You should pick a time each day to do relaxation exercises and stress reduction just as you get into bed may work for you.
Try and pinpoint different things that have stressed you out during the day and rather than dwelling on each thing analyze each one and think of ways to minimize them or dismiss them all together.
Muscle tensioning and relaxing can also help relieve stress along with deep breathing exercises think of a calm safe place where you can imagine yourself and do the exercises.
Keeping a journal could also help as you can identify things that triggered you and write down what you did to deal with issues or what worked to calm you down and reduce your stress.
Hope this gives you some ideas that help.
Mike

John you should talk to your parents about what is going on.
There is help available and self-harm is not the answer.

Thanks so much for all the help Mike. My Mother went away for a month for her anxiety and over that time that's when I needed her the most and my Father doesn't know much about me and my stressing so he doesn't know what to do and leaves me alone and my Mum helps me so much in life also I'm going to go see someone to see if I have anxiety but I think I do but don't want to sound like one of those people who assume they have anxiety but I think I do and my girlfriend thinks I do to

Also I was wondering if you think I have anxiety from my symptoms

Hi John
From what you are saying the anxiety you experience from different circumstances is an issue but everyone experiences anxiety how it affects you and how you cope with it is where you are struggling.
You’re doing the right thing with going to see someone about how you have been feeling and it is important to completely open up about everything that is going on including the thoughts you have of self-harm.
The person you see can help you and diagnose the problem but the benefits from talking openly and honestly about what is going on is the place to start.
Always remember when you lie to others your lying to yourself as well so please don’t keep anything from the person you see or try to change the details because you have concerns of what the reaction will be if you tell all the details.
Developing good self-care techniques and different ways to deal with the things that are causing you the anxiety and stress needs to be done it comes down to doing what keeps you well.
John don’t worry so much about the diagnoses the doctor you see can determine that, from your post different things and situations cause you a lot of anxiety talking openly and honestly about what is going on and how it affects you is the first step finding ways to help you cope better with different circumstances and develop techniques to reduce the anxiety you experience at times needs to be part of your daily life.
You don’t necessarily need the here is your diagnoses take this medication routine talking honestly and openly about how you are doing and developing coping methods from self-care practices and maybe even being part of a support group for people your age if there are services in your area.
You have done great to start talking about what is going on and seeing someone about it is a great step well-done.
Mike

Yes you are having anxiety, John.
Quick tip if you don't want to meet doctor : download this audio for anxiety relief. it's free, share it with your girlfriend too
calminghealth. com/38-lifestyle-reducing-anxiety-panic-1
Hope it helps :)

Thanks so much Mike and Josephine you've made my life so much easier. Thank you so much for everything

Your welcome John I hope you can put some of the suggestions to work and that it helps reduce your anxiety.
Anytime you need to chat happy to try and help.

Mike

To me it sounds like a little bit of both. 

Talking about the panic attacks,anxiety and even depression makes me cry :( I have been dealing with panic attacks since I was in the 8th grade, I have developed anxiety and social anxiety as well within the last 3 years. Some days are worse that others and some days are better. However I have found a way to cope and control my anxiety and panic attacks at least to a certain extent. And although I am not 100 percent cured It has helped me out tremendously and I am starting to get ahold of myself.

I hope this helps somebody out there out because it is something I have wished I could change for 

nearly 10 years.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Thanks for letting me know it opened up some new information about myself. Also one night when I was in the 5th Grade I went to bed and then my chest got really tight and I couldn't breath and then started to panic and my parents didn't know what it was and then I was screaming "Take me to hospital I can't breath" and kept on panicking and then got to Hospital I felt better because I knew if something went to the flip side there would be medical help to help me and then got my chest scanned and there was no failure of anything in my cheat or anything bad my chest was all good and maybe that was the first sign I had anxiety ?