Hi
For around 6 months now i have been getting chest pain going into my left arm. My doc said it was muscular after i had had ecg's echocardiogram blood tests (blood count troponin d dimers) and chest x ray and seen a cardiologist. I then started to develop anxiety because i thought i had a heart problem and therefore have had many trips to the A+E convinced im dying which has resulted in me having at least 10ECGs since last october 3 chest x rays and 4 lots of blood tests seen my own GP hundreds of times, seen a cardiologist, about 5 A+E doctors and many out of hours doctors on the weekend. only to be told that everything is fine and nothing medically wrong with me. In the past month or so i have started getting pain going up into the left side of my jaw and sometimes into my cheek and down my left arm and makes my hand tingle, my doc and counsellor re assure me its all anxiety related, but i can get it when i dont feel anxious or i can wake up in the night in agony. Do i believe my doc that anxiety is causing all these symptoms or does it sound like there could be something else more sinister going on underneath that they have missed out on? I can also get an odd sort of tingly type feeling down the middle of my chest which usually comes on in bed and can often make me feel dizzy. I don't deny i suffer from anxiety but i also think something else may be causing some of these symptoms...? Thanks for reading and if anyone can give me any feedback from their experiences i would be grateful.
I am a 21yr old female non smoker (quit last year after smoking 4-5 years) slightly overweight

Hi Beckka,
I completely sympathaise with the way you are feeling, I have been feeling terrible in the last couple of months and the last week I have gone mad, feeling awful, panic attack, severe numbness in face (left side more), pins and needles in left arm and leg, sweating, shaking etc. Been to doctor loads of times, hospital A&E had ECG which was normal, feel like something seriously wrong with me, loads of doctors have assured me it is anxiety but I feel like I am going mad. It sounds to me as if you have anxiety as your tests are all clear and believe me it can play havoc even though you may not be stressed about something at a particular time, nighttime I have not slept some nights because the symptoms keep me awake. Hope it subsides. Best wishes

I have had the same thing going on for about a year...pain in left arm (and if the heart was on the right side of the body i bet the pain would be in my right arm) because its all anxiety...ive got myself so worked up i wore a holter moniter had ekgs bloodwork...all normal...but i stilll think something is wrong with me my heart will start pounding out of nowhere its all in your head!

I swear when read your post Beckka, it was as if I wrote is myself! Exactly the same symptoms! Really doubt myself all the time, I enjoy going to the gym but I find my mind takes control and persuades me that I can't, by Manifesting symptoms of heart problems.

I can only imagine that you, me and few others here, read up all we could and spoke to all these people, but we always know how to persuade ourselves (comes naturally)

Personally I feel that all this stress can be a problem, the worst thing i read was that, prolonged amount of stress brings on artery tightening and furring! which can restrict blood flow, but you'd think the Docs would tell us that!

Well thats whats keeping me up at night, I hope someone has found something to contradict that.

i started getting panic attacks when i was 19 now im 21 ..thank god i know how to manage it. i used to take anti depessants but i think it got me worse. i went to the emergancy room 2 times cuz i thought i was having a heart attack and it was cuz of anxiety.. there are breathing techinques that you can get your body used to .. so it can clam all the anxeity and you can live better. thank god that my anxeity hasnt been bad as it used to.. you just have to remind your self that there isnt nothing wrong with you .. that your prefectly healthy .. i know its easier said then done but trust me i had it bad. i went on vacation and i got a panic attack i had to lock my self in the room and do my breathing techniques but it calm down. you have to keep your body busy..cuz if you have anxiety attacks every day your body thinks that your normal routine so you have to cut it out and start something new and get your body busy with exericise and a diet ..and i bet you will be back to normal.. i mean medication is good if its necessary but if you have the will power you can go through with this like i am!.

I am just been diagnosed with an artery constriction by the heart muscle.
I went to the doctors with chest discomfort, an this is the end result. I am 41 years ol, and just found I have a congenital heart condition.

I feel the anxiety, like you have been on a roller coaster ride, dizziness, tingly fingers at times, laying in bed some nights feeling like it's going to end very soon. Then I have good days and feel quite ok.

I am new to this, and would love to know how anyone who reads this gets over it all.
Thanks for your time.

okay, everything eveyrone has said is exactly what is happening to me.
The doc said that its just my hyperventallating.
but every single night i try to fall asleep, just as i am dozing off i get pains in my chest, and i feel like im about to die. i get this huge head rush and jump up every time. then my heart is pounding and feels tight, and my chest feels super tight as well.
All day every day my chest feels so tight, its been happening for 3 months now. and im getting to the point where i cant take it anymore!!!! it limits what i can do, if i ride a bicyle for ten minutes my heart will be pounding so hard. its SO scary.
i have an appt with thee caridologist so i''ll see what happens. but im 19 years old, and i was pretty healthy and active before this hole thing. its the worst feeling in the entire world.
other symptoms i get are my arms and legs and face go numb. shortness of breath ( feels like my throats closing).
ive been in the hospital 3 times because i think i am going to die. have had so many test and needles. and seem to all turn out fine.
this SUCKS

Much the same on this end. Had a panic attack just over a month ago and since then I've felt like I've had severe heart issues. My heart will race at any time of the day or night, seemingly with no trigger whatsoever. I've had blood tests done at the doctors, which came back all clear. Ended up with the paramedics at my house taking blood and giving me a quick ECG but they said I was physically fine too. 

I've smoked weed regularly, in large amounts for around 10 years (I'm 25 now), smoked plenty of unfiltered tobacco along with the joints, I've eaten c**p frozen food for years-on-end and basically lived an incredibly unhealthy life. I'm not overweight, if anything probably a little underweight. Since having these heart problems it's given me the impetus to eat far more fresh and healthy foods and I've been off the tobacco and weed, and coffee for that matter, for a month now. Unfortunately I'm still getting strange heart palpitations and a racing heart out of nowhere. It would appear that it's anxiety rather than anything physical but I was never an anxious person before this panic attack and the subsequent issues with my heart. It's a strange cycle of heart problems causing anxiety and anxiety causing heart problems. 

My doctor has given me some diazepam, although only very few at a time and at a very low dosage (2mg) which helps calm me down when I feel an anxiety/panic attack coming on. The only problem is that this is clearly not a long term solution. My doctor floated the idea of taking SSRI's (anti-depressants) but I'm by and large not a depressed person. Maybe existentially, but the only real thing getting me down is this strange situation I've found myself in with the heart and anxiety troubles. I'm very reluctant to take SSSRI's due to the side effects, especially since they make you more agitated for the first few weeks, which is the last thing I need/want. I'd like to inquire about CBT treatment but it'll likely be useless or unavailable to me since the NHS here in Scotland isn't very well funded in those departments.

That was all a bit of a ramble but reading everyone else's stories was comforting to me, so I thought I'd type out my own. Who knows how much longer I'll have to deal with this, or how I'll treat it, but hopefully it'll all be in the past soon and I can go back to feeling like myself again.

Hi all,

To the person who posted just before me, I feel you. I'm 24 and like you I am skeptical of medications. I'm a healthy weight, and I've never been a very anxious person. However just this year I've had 3 panic attacks. I never imagined that would be me! I've had palpitations on and off since my second year of college, the onset of which, I and my doc attributed to too many energy drink-fueled late-night study sessions. Since then I abstain from all energy drinks though there was a time when I'd have the occasional red bull which I told myself was somehow healthier. Also since college, weed causes me more anxiety than anything so i generally abstain.

I've felt for a while that coffee brings on chest tightness/pain, and last night decided to experiment. I took note that I had had not chest discomfort all day and made myself a cup of regular strength coffee. And sure enough, about 20 mins after drinking it i had some mild chest pains. I used to drink espresso every day without problems.

I myself have never gone to the hospital for any of this, though I came super close during one panic attack i had while driving. (That was the worst. It was the day after a serious drinking session and rather than a lot of water to recuperate, for some stupid reason I decided to drink coffee and a red bull.) I seldom drink much anymore.

The thing that bothers me is that most people seem to be able to abuse their bodies like crazy without having these frightening results. I don't want to think I have some sort of congenital heart defect, but I don't know. The fact that I didn't have much anxiety before the initial panic attack (which occurred after a coughing fit induced by a too-large toke), and have had a significant increase since plus more attacks, makes me worry that the problem may in fact be my heart. And after reading about heart attacks, I'm thinking, did I have a mild heart attack or even multiple ones which damaged my heart's tissue?

Doctor's seem so quickly dismissive...and maybe that's the best way they can be, as what are the treatment options really? Other than minimizing stress, and being more aware of nutrition and exercise. Still it's scary! email me if you want discuss the matter further. I would be happy to keep up with someone with such a similar situation. 

***post is edited by moderator ***private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Just reading all of the above and had to laugh at some of the stories because i could relate to every single one of them.have been having the exact same symptoms for about 6months. The constant dread of fear that something is wrong and im going to die. Its awful. With every little ake i throw my hand up to my neck to check my pulse. Been to the er 3times with nothing to show. Had blood tests done with my own doctor 3times all normal. Even went as far as thinking i had hiv!when this illness (anxiety)gets a hold of u there is nothing that can persuade u r fine but you are. I think the only way to beat it is to get help from a professional who actually deals with this issue on a daily basis. U really need a hands on approach for it to work. I was perscribed lexapro by my doctor also but am reluctant to take it as i dont want to go down that route just yet. Its very reassuring to see the pattern that this illness takes on us all because as you can see we all suffer from the same illness which is anxiety!its like anything.the first step to recovery is admitting it is anxiety. I know its hard because im going through it but what helps me is reading these comments each time i have doubts to reassure me. Hope we all can come through this and get our lives back on track.

Hello everyone

My name is robert and i have had anxiety or panic attacks for a few days now. Im 20 and im overweight (308 lbs, 5'11). Ive smoked weed daily for atleast a year now .Been smoking since i was 15, but i started smoking daily since late 2011. I like most of you guys/gals have had the feeling that im going to have a heart problem or heart attack or even die....went to the er the first time and told me that it was just paltipations from drug abuse...then i went home still kept having that discomfort feeling in my left side of my chest and arm....feels like tightness in my chest or where my heart is at...so i went to the er again and this time they performed and ekg , chest xrays, poked my finger for blood and this time they told me its just chest pain and prescribed tylenol and motrin .....got home still having those moments where i fear for my life/heart....since the first day i started feeling this on the left side of my chest i gave up eating the junkfood that i ate daily and started excercising and eating healthier ...today is saturday and im going to my doctor on monday....still worried about my heart and all...do you guys think that if i had a heart problem they would have told me in the er/hospital? any thoughts on what i should do? really would like and appreciate some feedback...hope everyone feels better from their anxiety problems and stuff...this is no joke best wishes to all who have anxiety/panic attacks and or anything else ...i will continue this diet of eating healthier and excercising....Ive also quit smoking weed. thanks for your time peace and love....god bless

Hi my name is jenn n i hve been goin through the same thng. Im 34 n quit smkng 2 yrs ago. I hve 5 kids n a hubby n i deal with the normal stress if finances n kids n health. I hve been gettn these chestpains off an on for yrs. But lately i hve been hvn thm more often. They hve been happening off n on throughout the day everyday for two wks nw. I get thm in my arm neck n jaw at times then i will get a pain under my left breast bone n smetimes in my abdominal area . Ivebeen to the er n thy do ab ekg n xray n send me home.. I wrry its a sign of smethn but the er cant find anythng. I also knw if ur nt having pain at the timw thy do the ekg it wnt shw anythng.. Now i am waitn for my appt with the cardioligists so i can do another stress test n where a monitor for a few days. I am currently takin xanax just to help me sleep so i wnt go into panic mode. I pray for all the people suffering with this cause believe me i knw its horrible..

Your post caught my eye because of how similar it is to my problems:

First off,  I also have anxiety issues that I'm aware of. (been to the doctors with similar symptoms that seemed heart related, and BECAUSE I have anxiety issues, I think they automatically think heart problems are unlikely, esp. since I'm 24 years old.

Anyways, yesterday I spent 24 hours with severe chest tightness and crushing, with pain in left shoulder and arm. Went to the Dr.s and they did an EKG scan, which was normal. The PA I had says "well it sounds like anxiety", gave me a prescription to a low dose of clonazepam, and sent me on my way. I'm thinking of going to a real doctor to get his opinion though, because a normal EKG doesn't cancel out heart problems. right?

Appreciating everyone's input and its nice to know I'm not alone in the stressful situation!

Hi am 25 yrs old .... I have had the same situation like most of you ... It all started from my heavy binge drinkin next morning i would wake up and i cant stay still heavy beating and everything ... I went to the doctor i told him my situation and he put the ekg all of the monitors and next day i return he tells me inhave high blood pressure so he gave edarbi 40 ... I felt better started a new diet excercise and everything i was 250 and now im 210 but something devasting happend and a family member passed away which put me in alot of thinking and stress ... Then again at night i cant sleep feel chest pains and muscle spasms all because of anxiety so i wanna go back to my doctor for another check up n make sure but its really my anxiety thats my problem i keep getting these thoughts in my head and i just wanted to know does anyone have any tips to tell me how to overcome this feeling ... Email me

Wow!!! These post are so me omg im going through this same problem it started around 7months ago have gone into er numerous times been tested numerous times and all has come back fine i want answers docters aint giving me any all they say is its anxiety. Its really doing my head in im 31 smoked ciggys for 15years stopped 5months ago smoke weed maybe 3cones a day used to be 10-12 plus!! I really wanna know what the heck is wrong has anyone had anymore answers??? As i see this is a rather old post!! Cheers