Hello, guys. Since I am diagnosed atrial fibrillation, my doctor suggested cardioversion. However, he told me I would have to take anticoagulants following this procedure. I wonder whether this is necessary. I know that these medications have many side-effects. I would appreciate if someone could answer me this. Thank you in advance.

Hi. Anticoagulants are a must for cardioversion. You must take them before the procedure, let alone after. They are very important since they diminish the possibility of heart attack. Heart attack is the main risk of this procedure. That is why you will continue taking anticoagulants for 4 weeks after the procedure. Your doctor suggested you well. I hope everything will be all right. Good luck! Bye!

You must be anti-coagulated before electrical cardio version to prevent the incidence of blood clot formation and stroke. One remains anti-coagulated following the procedure because there is a risk for the arrthymia to recur which in turn, increases the likelihood of clot formation and stroke.