Basically every time I go out drinking (every weekend), I get quite bad heart palpitations. Sometimes they start whilst I am drinking, sometimes it's the day after. But either way, they last 4 hours! Self-admittedly I am most definately a binge drinker.. I don't know how many units I drink, but on a typical evening I drink a 35cl bottle of vodka and half a bottle of apple sourz before I go out, and around 8-10 vodka n lemonades wen i'm out... telling me 2 stop isn't going 2 work as I won't. I just want 2 know wot it is as i'm only 19, but my friends drink as much as me and have no problems... I have had an ECG before and it was fine and i've taken my blood pressure whilst its happening and it isn't high it's just my pulse! So if anyone knows what it is I would be grateful if u cud let me knw!

it is pure anxiety. At the back of ur mind its registered that so much drinking is bad for u. So subconsciously that feeling is getting fired.
Slowly one more feeling is getting registered, whether you are sick.
Don't worry just keep on telling yourself that you are fine and get some
fresh air and breathe slowly for 3 mts your pulse rate should be back to normal

sorry sophie but that stuff you've said about anxiety is a load of rubbish.

i'm 20 and get the exact same thing, always after a night out of drinking. it happens to normal healthy people (young and old), so it doesn't mean anything is wrong with u. it's often referred to as 'holiday heart syndrome' as its most common in people who drink a lot on 'boozy holidays' or weekend breaks etc. when u drink alcohol in large quantities it affects the rhythm of ur heart beat - it can also be a result of stress and dehydration.

i feel the same way as in i dont want people telling me to just lay off the drink. im a student at uni so obviously binge drinking is simply part of my lifestyle at the mo lol. but even tho its not really much to worry about, it can apparently increase ur risk of having a stroke later in life if u keep geting these palpitations. personally i think the risk of this happening is very low if u are otherwise healthy tho.

maybe have a look at this website:
http://www.healthcentral.com/heart-disease/c/77/1943/holiday-heart/

i hope i've helped!

jo x

apologies, i didnt mean u were talking rubbish sophie - that was aimed at
casanova081577 lol x

Expect to live to be 61 or so. sorry. i have it, my deceaced father had it and his mother. Its call atribuala fibulation. quit drink,smoking and drink lots of water and you may hit 70.

i am also suffering through same , after 2 pegs my heart palpitations goes too high & i become uncomfortable i don't know what is the reason as all ECG's are normal.

Hi Freddy, do not come on here and start giving life expectancies to people a) you have no idea about their genetics b) you have no idea what they actually have here. Atrial Fibrillation would be apparent without alcohol too and would certainly show up on an ECG if present at the time of recording.

Readers, please take no notice of the '61' year life span you have just been diagnosed with, utter rubbish.

Do, however, listen to you're bodies response to alcohol. I cut down after getting these symptoms, and I can now enjoy a drink (and get more drunk easier!0, and have little to no symptoms the following day(s).

Good luck getting through this, all.

I get this pretty much every time I drink as well. I know from research it is because the alcohol can mess with your hearts rhythm. I have resolved it by taking a .5mg of Xanax to calm it down. Family history of drinkers and heart problems I'm not surprised the two would be related. Probably won't lighten up on the drinking too much unless it continues past the day after. Just cause your friends haven't gotten it doesn't mean they won't it could just be less noticable or hasn't started yet.

Prick for saying that

I used to get the same thing after really heavy drinking sessions. After I started hitting a bottke of vodka a day I decided to stop drinking completely. I still get very occasional 'flutters' if I drink too much coffee or had something very sweet.

Facing the same situation.today I went to doctor and had my ECG.It was normal but the doctor advised me to quit drinking and I am on it.....

Total arse. People come on here for advice and reassurance. Palps in themselves won't hurt you but can be very unnerving. Go and troll somewhere else

Yep, I get it too. Makes it hard to sleep at night after a few drinks as well. My ECG are good but did skip beats on a stress test. Doctor wasn't worried. Just means I got to give up drinking before I do more damage. All the best.

61? My grandpa died of this at 42. I starting getting this at age 40 after 15 years of binge drinking. There is medication you can take to stabilize your heart rhythm if you really need to keep drinking. Doesn't happen to me anymore since I chucked the bottle.

Hiya... I know ur status or response on here is very old but this happens Me since last year and never happened before I do suffer from anxiety but not as bad as I used to and it never happened before last year... it's terrifying and now I avoid alcohol and I'm gutted cause I was never a big drinke but loved going out every few weeks and us inglot a good night out.... do u take the xanex before u drink? Cause it will start when I am out and drinking after a couple of drinks I'm off