I have had trouble sleeping for a very long time now and I am sad to say that I have not found any solution yet, despite countless doctors visits and attempted treatments. I have a new doctor now, and he suggested that I go to a Magnetic Resonance Imaging scan. The thought of that is very scary to me. Do I really need to do this?

Rather than asking yourself whether such scan is really necessary, you should probably be glad that your doctor is taking your sleeping problems seriously and he wants to help you to solve them. An MRI Scan, or Magnetic Resonance Imaging, is nothing to be scared of. The process is a bit strange for the patient the first time, as it involves you having to be totally motionless for the scan to be successful, but these scans are very effective and it is likely to help you gain an awful lot of information about what is going on in your brain, which might be the beginning of the end of your problems.