Is it true that insulin promotes weight gain? I have been exercising regularly, eating properly and have lost 10 pounds in the last 2 years…unfortunately my sugars have not been too good, either. They are always emphasizing the importance of losing weight among diabetics, stating it improves sugar control, yet my doctor put me on insulin. Anyone?

I have never heard evidence of insulin promoting weight gain. Insulin is what helps glucose into our bodies' cells and glucose provides the energy cells need to function. If excess glucose is not used up, then it gets stored as fat. I would say if someone didn't exercise to rid of the extra glucose in their system, they would gain weight. If diet and exercise was not controlling your blood sugars, that is probably why your doctor put you on insulin. Were you on oral medicine before going on insulin? Some oral medications are known to help diabetics lose weight.