Hi, a week ago I have started going to the gym. I have decided to start training since I am not satisfied with the way I look. Anyway, the gym instructor has set me up with a workout routine that I should keep up for a month. The thing is I feel that I can do a lot more then what I am suppose to do according to the workout routine. Should I do more?

Hi, it is good that you have turned to a professional trainer for help. Workout routines are designed with the precise plan of the exercises you will be doing, how many sets, the weight you will be using in those exercises and so on. People generally share your opinion. But, this is wrong. You may feel as if you are capable of doing a lot more than you are doing but the change can have serious consequences. Let me put it this way: there are exercises for each muscle. However, some exercises designed for a certain muscle group also put a pressure to some other muscles. If in your workout routine you exercise biceps one day and the next one you do exercises for chest muscles or triceps, you are in the risk of overtraining the triceps. This is because all of these exercises include working of triceps. The workout routine is not a simple thing and you should follow your trainer's orders. He will know when you are ready for a more intense training.