After a speed workout? Did some quick laps at the track on Wednesday and hurt until Saturday! Is this normal?

1, 2 at the most.

Did you stretch out afterwards?

YES...YES...and YES, achey.
I did speed workouts on Wednesday and didn't run until Sunday again cuz of pain...

YES...YES...and YES, achey.
Well I ran anyways.... I'm following this schedule I found on the internet. The day after was scheduled for 3 miles and I think that was the icing on the cake. I'm wondering if I should switch my rest day to the day after my hardest workout.

I need to increase intensity of mine apparently. I'm rarely ever even sore after a hard workout. Haven't even been sore after a race yet this year which tells me I'm not pushing hard enough. I would think though that being sore three days later probably isn't a good thing. Might want to rearrange your schedule.

Try icing them down after a hard workout. Then stretch later and the next day.

I really believe you've got to "do something" the day following a hard workout. Personally, I take my rest day the day before my long run so as to give any twinges a day to recover and I can be rested for the biggie. As for the day after, I'm a cross-training junkie. I really think a low-impact workout that gets the legs moving and flushing the lactic acid out along with working some other muscles groups is the ticket. Even if you're not into cross-training, logging a few stiff easy miles is better than letting your legs go rigamortis.

I think the advice about stretching needs to be guaged with the type of ache too. Light stretching is the way to go. And if you've got some real intense soreness, the stretching needs to wait until that goes away. Pulling on a lightly injured muscle could be an invitation for a longer recovery.

Was this one of your first track sessions of the year? After a handful of times to the track and a consistent schedule otherwise, you'll harden up and get used it.

:twocents:

I say no, it isn't normal...soreness is an indication of over doing it...my guess is the intensity of your workout was too high or the duration too long for your current level of training.

When I started speed work, I did have some soreness initially, but now theonly real soreness I have was after the marathon. That lasted about 3 or 4 days.

YES...YES...and YES, achey.
I'm quoting myself! How introspective...or something like that...
I should've added that 'num nuts' (I am num nuts in the scenario), ran 6 miles, took a small break and THEN went out and did some speedwork.

I'm usually sore for a couple of days after a long run (9+), but it's been longer since the ass implants.