I've heard a few people rave about castille soap recently. I've got oily and acne prone skin and I am wondering if castille soap is a good face care option for me. I would like something that strips away excess oil from the skin without taking it to the other extreme and instead winding up with very dry skin that might flake, etc. So, may I use castille soap on oily skin?? Will it dry my skin out? If you know or even better have experience with using it on acne prone very oily skin, I'd love to hear from you!

I love castile soap! It's so versatile. You can use it on your face, body, in the washing machine, as a dish washing liquid, even to clean the toilet. I have normal to dry skin and don't find castile soap drying to my skin. I thought it was pretty good for every skin type, but since I don't have oily skin I can't tell you about that to be honest. I would assume that if it does not dry my drier areas, and it doesn't, that it would not be drying to your skin either. BUT I don't use it as shampoo, which some do, especially because it makes my hair look greasy. Maybe that is not a good sign? You could give it a go anyway, and can always use it for household tasks if you don't like it for the skin.

Celebrity

If you look around for "reviews", meaning people talking about different types of Castile soap, including home-made versions, some people will say that it dried their skin out while others don't find that it dries their skin out. Most people agree that home or artisan made Castile soap, so containing only olive oil and nothing else, is mildest, so with the lowest potential of drying the skin out. Other, commercially made, products contain other ingredients as well and may have the glycerin removed. This may make it more drying. Of course, soap in all its forms dries to some extent. Most people will find that they simply need to use a moisturizer on their face to not have a dry-feeling face, while a good portion of people also chooses to use a body lotion, but not all. 

Castile soap is the name given to soap made from vegetable oils, because that kind of soap originally came from that region of Spain. It's not always liquid, it can come in a bar too. If you look around the web, yeah, there's loads of recipes that show you how you can make it yourself, including in the crockpot. Many people with acne really like this kind a soap for their skin, and they say their outbreaks get way better... but sometimes you gotta be patient 'cause not all people see improvements right away, with some having to wait months before things get better. Anyway, if you give this a try, you'll not be the only one with oily/acne skin, so you should be fine with it.

Oh yes, you can certainly use castile soap on oily skin! I do, and I apply two drops to my hands and work up a lather before applying it to an already wet face. I then apply coconut oil as a moisturizer when I am done. I am happy to say that, since I started using this method, my skin has improved greatly. I used to have very oily, shiny skin and with this method, my skin is actually not oily at all any more. I started around six months ago and couldn't be happier. I don't think you'd regret using castile soap on your face for a minute, and it is also suitable for your hair, and for the rest of your body.

I might well be in a minority here but castile soap was horribly, horribly drying for the skin on my face. Horribly. It actually strips the protective oily layer from the skin, as I found out later, so I am very sure I'm not the only one. Yeah, it may be better for people who already have very oily skin, which I didn't and don't. I had neither dry nor oily skin, just normal. After using castile soap a few days it looked flaky, red and felt really unpleasant. I had the feeling it could crack if I so much as smiled. Do I need to mention that I quit using castile soap on my face in favor of a more conventional facial cleanser?

I suffer from eczema. When someone recommended I try Castile Soap, I decided to do just that. It is one of the mildest soaps out there, with the best ones being made only with olive oil. Watch out, because some soaps advertised as Castile Soap contain all kinds of additives. Steer clear of those and go for the pure hard Castile Soap instead. I found that the eczema on my upper arms got a lot better since using it. My face, well, I still get some there. But yes, Castile Soap is a good option for dry skin, including eczema prone skin, so it is not drying... or rather, much less so than other soaps. I have no experience with oily skin.

I have rosacea, and as such I sometimes frequent forums where people with rosacea share tips. Many actually use castile soap, because it is one of the mildest cleansers on the market. I know it's called "soap", but it is actually very different from your normal bar of soap that contains lots of harsh chemicals. This is a natural product that may not magically cure your skin conditions, it's true, but it will not make them worse either. It will clean your skin, but without stripping it of its natural protective capacities like harsh soaps will do. Many people with acne use castile soap as well. If you have not already bought it then I see no reason why you should not do so now.

I love castile soap and have been using Dr Bronner's castile soap for a few different things for a while now. It's great that it comes in many different scents (I like the citrus one best) and it is definitely my go-to body wash! I have also occasionally washed my hair with it as well as delicate clothes that need to be hanwashed (in combination with some fabric softener). I do not like it for my face though. As great as it is for my body, it just does not feel right for the face. So I am sticking with my almond oil face wash which I am happy with and is also a natural product.

Because I have crazy sensitive skin, a friend recommended I try castile soap, and I did. I washed my hair with it as well. It was fine for my hair, but it made my skin feel extremely taught and not in a good way. I used it for two weeks and then stopped. It was extremely drying for my skin and caused redness as well. I know that does not mean much to you if you have oily skin, but for me, this was a no no and I will still use it for my scalp and hair but never again on my face. Just my two cents, which may or may not be helpful.