Hiya,

With so much talk about makeup going on, I was wondering what you guys do to remove it. Thought I'd start this thread about removing makeup, where we can share tips and tricks about what worked for you and what was a huge fail. Do you use cleansers and if so which ones? If you use makeup removal wipes which ones are your absolute faves? Which products made your skin break out or dry out and which ones just did a bad job getting rid of all your makeup? Fave stuff in the budget category? Fave stuff in the high end category?

Share ahead!!!

This is something few people ever talk about, but it works great for me.

Microfiber cleansing cloths for the skin! Microfiber is of course hugely popular for household cleaning, but people talk about using it on the skin so much less often. That is a shame, because microfiber cleansing cloths for the skin work really well at multiple different things. They remove makeup completely, and also exfoliate the skin while you are doing that. They clean your clogged pores and can even reduce the occurrence of breakouts and blackheads. When you use a microfiber cloth to remove your makeup, you'll be surprised to see that you can get rid of all your makeup using nothing more than warmish water and the cloth. They are life savers!

For waterproof eye makeup (which I love and use nearly all the time), you are really going to get the best results with an oil-based cleaner. Don't think you need to rub and scrub because the oil will dissolve the makeup for you. When done applying it, I like to remove the makeup along with the cleanser with cotton pads that are a little wet, simply to prevent bits of cotton from getting on my eyes.

For everything else, I just use my normal cleanser to get it off.

I also keep those makeup removal pads in my handbag and near my bed in case I am feeling extra lazy. They are handy to have, but make no mistake - they do not give you the same results as a full makeup removal routine!

My secret is this...

... I have been removing my makeup with baby wipes ever since I had my first baby.

Baby wipes are cheap, they are good enough for a baby's bottom and therefore don't irritate your skin, and they remove makeup really quite well. I use it all over the face including on the eyes, but of course I close my eyes when working on that.

After I am sure my face is clean, I usually wash it with some warm water and a splash of cold at the end, then apply moisturizier.

I am sure people who know lots about skin care will take issue, but it works for me and I swear by it.

The most important things to me are that a makeup remover takes all your makeup off without much effort, and that it doesn't clog the pores, as some do. I've tried lots and lots of different products, usually ask for samples when I get something new.

Sephora's home brand stuff is pretty good and I like their waterproof eye makeup remover quite a lot because it doesn't cause a burning sensation or irritate my eyes. I like Almay's gentle oil free eye makeup remover pads for when I am feeling lazy. They are handy for when you're staying over at a hotel as well. For the rest of my face I like Dermablend long wear makeup remover, which is great for oilier skin and doesn't clog your pores up.

I use Clinique Take The Day Off, which is really popular. When I first got it (ordered it online) I was shocked at how tiny the bottle is, but it's really a workhorse that takes off all that eyeliner, mascara and those long staying lipsticks. You just need a little of it to take all your makeup off. It smells wonderful, which is more than I can say for most cleansers, and most importantly of all it leaves my skin looking and feeling clean, smooth and fresh.

How you remove makeup is basically a matter of personal preference, as long as you do take it off, because leaving it on leads to breakouts and ugly skin in the long run. For regular makeup removal I personally prefer Neutrogena's Makeup Remover Cleansing Towellettes, because they are easy to use and Neutrogena is wonderful for more sensitive skins. I don't know about you, but I sometimes make mistakes putting my makeup on and I hate removing everything just to start over again. For those little mess ups, there's Oceane Makeup Remover pen. Especially good for eyeshadow mistakes, you can just get rid of the bit you don't like without taking everything off!

Personally, I use makeup remover wipes bought at NYX. After that, I use an antibacterial gentle soap bought at Eurcerin, and rinse it out with water really well. Once I know my skin is squeaky clean, I apply my organic honey ointment and sleep with that. This seems to work very well. If I compare it to those nights where I am simply too tired to take my face off as I call it, I wake up with more relaxed, less puffy skin. My guess is that it doesn't matter too much how you remove your makeup as long as you do it. It's important to stay away from products that dry the skin out as well, hence the Eucerin soap.

I've been experimenting with home-made makeup removal products, because the commercial ones I was using before tended to irritate my skin. (If you take a peek at the ingredient lists of most products, you'll be pretty icked out.) For my eyes, I like witch hazel mixed in with any oil. This prevents irritation and gets rid of mascara and eyeliner very well.

To wash my face, I have been using jojoba oil. First, spread it over your whole face, and then wipe it off with a muslin cloth (no need to apply too much pressure). Next, moisten a new muslin cloth with warm water, press it into your face, and leave it on for a little while. You rinse your face off with warm water and repeat this step. When you are done, apply some rose water onto your face. I read about this method on some blog (can't remember where unfortunately) and it cleans my face very well. I have to say I don't use a lot of face makeup, usually skipping foundation unless I go out somewhere important.

Anyway, there's another take on makeup removal that you may not have heard of yet :). I hope you like it.

I use L'Oreal Skin Perfection 3 in 1 purifying micellar solution. If you're wearing light makeup like BB cream and some blush, as I usually do, it removes your makeup perfectly. It literally does feel like water. It doesn't smell much, doesn't dry your skin, and makes you feel nice and new, without having to rub as you do with some makeup removal products. This product is good value for money as well. I have used pricier micellar waters and actually prefer this one in terms of performance.

Celebrity

For my sensitive skin, I like Aveeno Ultra-Calming Makeup Removing Wipes when I need something extra-convenient. They leave my skin feeling, well, as the name suggests, calm and soothed. They do a great job removing makeup as well. I also have and like La Roche-Posay Physiological Micellar Solution which, again, is suitable for my sensitive skin. I like this product because it cleanses, tones and removes makeup in one and does not make my skin feel greasy after I am done. Some products really irritate my skin, but I have found both of these to work very well for my needs. I think that they would be good for any skin type.

I have a question. Can you help? I have very rough skin between my eyebrows and on the tip of my nose at the moment. It looks terrible. One thing I have noticed is that even after using my regular makeup cleanser, I can still see foundation in those flaky bits where the skin is rough and peeling. How do I effective cleanse and care for these rough bits and hopefully make them go away? This is not a good look. I have been this way for perhaps six weeks already and it is driving my crazy.

The most important thing is to remember that makeup removers and cleansers are not one and the same thing. So you need to first remove your makeup, pretty much using any makeup remover, wipes or from a bottle, whatever you prefer, and THEN wash your face with a cleanser. This makes sure your skin isn't irritated by remnants of the makeup remover instead of the makeup itself. Also any remaining oil and dirt gets cleaned right off. Then after, apply a night cream if you're going to bed, and that's it.

With the cleanser you pick, you should of course use one for your own skin type. If you are not sure, get a consult, which is frequently being offered by various brands at malls. Then look out for dry skin, oily skin, or combination skin. Choose a non-comedonegenic cleanser to prevent outbreaks too. Another thing is to make sure to pat the skin dry after cleansing rather than rubbing it with a rough towel. That can only create irritation and dryness, depending on your skin type. And of course if you are wearing waterproof makeup you need a makeup remover that removes that, because not any old product will.

I love your makeup remover idea. I have been using Purity cleansing oil by Philosophy. For my moisturizer I use sweet almond oil, organic rosehip oil and a moisturizing gel cream by Peter Thomas Roth. I've been trying to remember to use my facial steamer with a few drops of tea tree oil in the water at least once a week. For the rest of my body I LOVE glycerin and rose water by De La Cruz. Petroleum jelly is wonderful to soften feet, add lotion on top of it so that you don't feel greasy.