I FELL INTO A HOLE 3 MONTHS AGO AND HAVE NOW BEEN DIAGNOSSED WITH LIS FRANC. I WENT TO SEE A ORTHO SURGEN AND HE SUGGESTED THAT SINCE I DON'T HAVE ANY PAIN WHEN I WALK TO HOLD OUT ON SURGERY. HE DID SAY THAT ARTHRITES WILL BE REALLY BAD. MY HUSBAND LEAVES TO AFGHANISTAN FOR A YEAR IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS SO I WAS HAPPY WITH THE NEWS SINCE I HAVE A 12 YEAR OLD. IS THIS A WISE CHIOCE?? IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE WHO HAS DON THE SAME AND WAITED?

I just now found your post. If you are not in pain, perhaps alternative treatment will work for you. I didn't have surgery for ten months, although the reason was because of changing to a doctor who would listen to me and then because of insurance, needing to try conservative measures first. Pain was my constant companion, though I carried on with my daily activities as much as possible. With a 12 yr. old, you would have plenty of help, but if you are the only one who can provide transportation, that could be a problem if you choose at some point to have surgery.

Hope your husband doesn't have to serve out his whole time, and my heart is with you during this difficult separation. Please let him know that here is one person who is thankful for his service for our country!

You might want to switch over to the other discussion that currently has eight pages. You might hear from others that way. I wish you quick recovery.

I keep hearing about going to the other threads. How do I get there on the Lis franc?

I had my surgery on January 15, 2009. My injury occurred in the 19060's and was missed. My foot continued to try to heal itself and it became a real problem. Prior to surgery I searched for some chat/patient feedback and frankly, I was not prepared for all the negative posts and doom and gloom! I decided to do my homework and talk to people I knew that had been through foot surgery. I gleaned the best advice from all of them and so far everything has been great! I'm only 15 days out of surgery, have had minimal pain and zero swelling. I followed my MD's instructions to the letter. I took the first 10 days off and kept the leg elevated!!

I, too am happy to share the tips that have worked for me. I will have stitches removed and screw out of my toe on Monday and see where we go from there. Here are some simple tips that have made my experience positive thus far:

1. Positive thoughts. Think positive and set mini goals. Don't listen to the people that tell you everything will be horrible, you will have a lot of pain and none of the deadlines for walking, etc. will be met.

2. Walkers, shower chair, etc. Go to thrift stores and buy extra equipment for home and/or work. My insurance covered one of everything but at a really good thrift store I purchased 2 extra walkers, a brand new shower chair and a cane for $5.00 each. By having extra pieces one doesn't have to move pieces from room to room.

3. Nerve block during surgery. This is definitely the patient's choice but I agreed to the nerve block from the knee down. My block lasted 36 hours so I have virtually NO PAIN after surgery. Once it did hit, the pain was totally manageable. Stay ahead of the pain with your meds. This is not the time to be a hero either. Pain meds are for pain!

4. Keep your foot elevated! If possible take the first 10 days off work and keep your leg elevated as much as possible. I have done that and did not have any swelling. Also my foot was not purple nor did blood rush to the foot. I had numerous warnings about all of those items and none occurred.

5. Organize. Prior to surgery figure out where to store items that you need to reach yourself. This is key. I have everything I use daily where I can reach it!

6. Showering. I wrap my foot in two small plastic grocery bags covered by a kitchen-sized trash can bag. Water has not leaked through.

7. Listen to your doctor. My MD told me that the inidivuals that have complications or the failure of the procedure generally do not listen to instructions or put weight on the foot too soon.

Feel free to ask me anything else but I plan on staying positive and healing right on schedule!!

Huskerette