i'm recovering from lis franc fracture and having cast off in 4 days. had surgery and three screws. i am looking forward to walking boot,but am concerned about being able to walk right away. there is still some tingling in toes. what have any of you experienced? doc said it would take a year to mostly recover.

I just treated myself to a Lis Franc dislocation this past Sunday! I stumbled upon this website today and found your post to be one of the more recent ones on this topic. I sincerely hope that your rehab is going well. From reading earlier/other posts, it sounds like we're in for the long haul doesn't it? As for me, I have apparently not fractured anything (based on ER x-rays) but have most definately torn some things. Of course, the ER diagnosed it as a severe sprain, however, although I am not a physician, I am a licensed physical therapist and know very well that after having reduced my grossly twisted foot myself on Sunday morning that joint movement like that most definately does not happen without some type of significant tissue damage. I am to see an orthopedic tomorrow morning and am hoping for a miracle but do realize the likelihood of having some type of surgical intervention in the near future. Enough about me, again, I do hope that your rehab is going well. Post a reply if you get this and keep me updated. Best Wishes.

I was miss diagnosised on March 5 with a sprain. I was placed on cruches for two weeks, told to start walking on my foot as much as my pain would allow. I returned to work as a fire fighter after four weeks. Once I started back to work is when the real pain began. I put up with it for two more weeks. When I could not take it anymore I went to my doctor which sent me to an ortho the following week. After an additional x-ray and MRI. I was told I had a lis fracture, which require surgery, two screw and a cast. I am 8 weeks post op. feeling pretty good. I go back to the doctor on the 10th of June. Hopefully I will be able to bear weight and start my pt. I am looking forward to getting back to work. I would like to hear from anyone who may have a similar job as mine and how long it took for them to get back to work.

a question to both of you guys who had this surgery: i had the surgery myself about 3 days ago. ever since the nerve block wore off, my foot feels tingly and semi numb, but i have full sensation of my toes when I touch them. The pressure on my foot from cast is not letting me sleep at night, even with meds. the doc just told me to ice it and elevate it. :-(

is this what you guys went through? is this normal, or do I need to corner the doctor and have him see the cast?

Hi Connormichael2,

how are you doing now, my Dr. told me it would take a year as well, I have been full weight bearing for 10 days and cannot walk for very long periods of time, front of ankle and bottom sides of ankle ache and pinch.

My big toe tingles and cannot bend downwards, it's stiff as a board.

Did the Dr. tell you he might remove the screws? My Dr says he'll remove them only if they break or hurt.

Hope you are doing well.

KD

Hello all...I am currently 4 weeks s/p hardware (3 screws) removal after my lis franc dislocation last May. Hard to believe it has been 5 months already! I was non-weight bearing x 12 weeks and was then released to weight bearing as tolerated wearing a boot until the hardware was removed ~ 4weeks later. I am back into a regular shoe now and although gradual, have been progresing consistently. Primary limitation is with push-off at terminal stance (weight bearing thorugh the ball of my foot) but have otherwise been pleased with rehab process despite the long duration. Even already at the 5 month milestone I do believe it will take several more months to be "normal" again. I only the hope that the inevitable arthritis pain and occasional aches and pains in the future will not be that debilitating. So far so good. Keep your chin(s) up!

Greetings, I suffered a lis franc 9/7/8 while horseback riding. My surgery was 9/12/8, PT begins 11/10/8, suggested partial weight bearing 8 wks 11/24, full weight bearing 12 wks 12/22, return to work part time 1/2/09, hardware removal 8 screws - 1 plate - 3 pins one year 9/09. Sounds like your PT was very effective. Any suggestions for PT and edema reduction at home?

Hi, I had a car accident 7/5/8 shattered my foot. surgery 6pins 1plate in perm. 3 months no weight. walking now not too much pain. phys. ther. is helping a little but I have to do most of the work at home. Stationary bike helped a lot and constant foot movement. If at all possible use a cane to help you walk my doctor said recovery is about 1 year but I feel like it will be sooner. for the stiff toes you just have to try to move them. the more you move your foot and toes the less swelling. after surgery there's a lot of scar tissue that needs to break up thus the stiffness.