I am due for surgery for Mortons Neuroma on 3rd Jan 07. I can see many "bad result" stories - is there anyone out there who would recommend the surgery? If so, under what circumstances?

I am having MN surgery tomorrow morning 1/25/07. I am scared to be put to sleep. I would like to hear a good story also.

I just had surgery today on my left foot. You said you were due to have surgery earlier this month. How are you doing and what is your progress so far? At first I went to a Podiatrist and I received one shot of cortisone, five alcohol injections and the 7th and last injection was cortisone. None of these injections helped so I went to a Orthopedice Sugeon. He did an MRI and an ex-ray neither of which the Podiatrist did. Anyway today I had the surgery but my doctor said he doesn't believe in alcohol injections and he said he won't go through the bottom of the foot unless there is no other way so needless to say mine was done through the top.

Is you your life pretty much back to normal yet? How is the pain at this point?

On 11-29-07 I had surgery on both of my feet for Morton's Neuroma. Prior to the surgery my Doctor told my I would only be out for 6-8 weeks. Well here it is 9 months later,and I am 50 times worse than before I had the surgery. I have consistent pain on the ball of each foot.
I have tried everything he has suggested,with no positive results. Prior to surgery I would be on my feet all day,they would start bothering me at the end of the day. Now they hurt constantly,the only way I get relief is by putting them on ice,until they get so cold I don't feel it. But once the cold wears off,the pain is back.
I recently had an MRI,(This was the result for my left foot,WITH & WITHOUT CONTRAST)under the Ligaments and Tendons of the report this is what it says. There is fluid surrounding the flexor longus tendon. This is most likely consistent with tenosynovitis of the flexor hallucis longus tendon just beneath the navicular bone. On the right foot it states,The visualized tendons are within normal limits in the fore foot.
I normally wear a size 13 shoe,I have tried wearing a size 15EE. It doesn't seem to matter with the shoe. The consistent pain is on the bottom of the feet. I also have slip on pads to cushion that area of the feet,has no effect. If I am on my feet for 3-4 hours,they are hurting extremely bad,and I MUST get off of them. I don't know what to do anymore,I saw my doctor two days ago,he said it may be scare tissue. And he would have to do surgery again. I am really scared of him making them even worse yet(if that's possible)
I can not stress it enough about how regretful I am I had this done,I hurt soooo much more than I did before. I like the Doctor,he has a good reputation. He also told me,(which I already knew) that I had the Neruoma along time,10-12 years. I was desperate to get the problem fixed,boy was I wrong. Like I stated earlier,I regret doing this,I would not advise anyone to have this surgery,your much better off to live with it,rather than make it MUCH WORSE.
To anyone out there who is considering having the surgery,try any and all other options,before you have the surgery. I wish I would have found this site,and others,before I had mine. I did no research prior to the surgery. Only went by what the doctor told me. And now I am very upset with myself,for not checking into it more before hand.

God Bless ,
Bsparkey

I'm facing the surgical removal of a mortons neuroma on my left foot. I've read many disappointing and frightening posts of unsuccessful neuroma surgeries. someone in pain management told me that if my foot nerves are numbed by way of ankle or foot block before surgery, that it's unlikely that i'll experience "phantom pain" once the neuroma is removed.

i'd like to know how many of you had an ankle or foot block (numbing of nerves that are being operated on) and still have pain after your mortons neuroma surgery.

Thanks!

I had 2 Neuromas in my right foot removed in March. I had the foot block and I will have to say it helped. But now I am dealing with another problem. I have a tore tendon in my ankle which my doctor says it could happen in result to the Neuroma. Because of not wanting to put any weight on the ball of your foot you tend to stress out the heel and ankle. So now I am facing another surgery. All I have to say is ANYONE
that is thinking about having this surgery do the following.
Be prepared to have someone help you at all times post surgery for about 4 weeks. Stay off your foot.
ICE, ICE and MORE ICE
Don't be afraid to take the pain meds.
Keep it elevated at all times
Do range of motion exercises while you are resting.