I have a history of diabetes in my family. However, I haven’t had any problems yet. I am planning to get pregnant and I am concerned about the diabetes that happens only during pregnancy. What effects can it have on the baby and me?

This type of diabetes is called gestational diabetes. It can make the baby grow large, which can result in a need for cesarean. After the birth, the baby may suffer from hypoglycaemia as her pancreas will continue to make extra insulin although high levels of blood sugar are no longer present. That is why the baby will need to have regular check-ups. Most of the babies develop jaundice, but it is not a reason for concern. Another problem that may arise but clear with time is respiratory distress syndrome-difficulty breathing. There is also a risk that baby will be overweight or develop diabetes II in adolescence or adulthood. As for you, if you keep the blood sugar within safe range, you shouldn’t have any complications and will be able to deliver your baby with no problems.