I am diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes on my 3rd pregnancy.  How does this happen?  I was not diabetic with my other 2 pregnancies so why is this any different?  I am a bit perplexed by the whole thing.  Why now?  Does this mean I can't have any more babies?

Hello Guest.... you should be fine as far as having more babies, if you so wish to.  Gestational diabetes may not occur in the first pregnancy or even a few pregnancies before it shows up all of a sudden in a pregnancy down the line.  You will have GD for each pregnancy after the one with gestational diabetes.  You risk for diabetes will be higher down the road, perhaps 5 years after having a baby with GD.  I know it happened to me.  I had one pregnancy without GD.  Then nine years later I was pregnant again and had GD with that pregnancy.  I ended up with Type 2 diabetes about 5 years later.  You won't likely have diabetes from your pregnancy on.  You will go back to normal blood sugars after the birth of the baby.  However, you will need to watch your diet and try to exercise regularly to stave off diabetes in the future.

I think the body just does weird things.... I was pregnant with my two kids but the last one I has gestational diabetes with her. I was on medication because no matter what I'd do, I couldn't get my blood sugar to go down in the morning. My fasting was always 110 up to 123 or so. I was so frustrated about it. Now I have to go through it again, not a pregnancy, but I am type 2 diabetic now. I am having trouble again with my blood sugars. I hate that I would have to go on medication again. I am on enough meds without having more on top of it.