I don't know how to start. I am 26 years old and I am pregnant for the first time. I am going to regular routine checks of baby progress and my overall health condition. Couple days ago doctors told me that my sugar level in blood is too high. I have diabetes now. I didn't have it before the pregnancy. Is it unusual? Can diabetes be caused by pregnancy? Doctor says that it will not affect the baby.

It is not unusual. There is one type of diabetes which can occur in pregnant women even if she didn't have it before. It is called gestational diabetes. Nobody knows exactly how person gets diabetes but we know that it is caused by pancreas decreased production of insulin so body can't use sugar for energy. You will probably have to change diet and to do proper exercises, maybe even to take some insulin shots. Diabetes will probably go away after the pregnancy but you are in danger to develop Type 2 diabetes. Since you will treat it under the doctor's observation and since it is discovered early your baby probably will not have any problems.