During a physical, I was complaining to my Dr. about an achy pain in my left side and constant headaches. My Dr. did a CBC and found that my wbc was 23,000 (later confirmed). I am having a CAT scan of my spleen tomorrow. I know this can be a sign of infection and leukemia-what other more benign problems can cause this?

This sounds a lot like what I had. I had no symptoms, however, just pain in my left leg and a high WBC (White blood cell count). I was given a whole battery of tests, including a CAT scan for enlarged spleen and other organs. They found I was fine inside, but usually the elevated WBC is indicative of CLL, which I found I have through one of the blood tests they gave me. Thank goodness this kind of disease has a very slow growth (about 12 years on average, though some people go to 30 years with it). The disease itself doesn't kill you, but the elevated WBC is not good if you get something else, makes it hard to cure.

Hey guys. Well, this is a tough one because elevated blood cells count can cause many diseases, one of them being leukemia, which is not good at all. I have a question for you. Are you allergic to something? Because it is quite possible that it is an allergic reaction to something you aren't even aware of, and that is why your white blood cells are elevated. That might be the reason, and also it could be an infection of some kind. In any way, you should go and check yourself up as soon as possible and let us know what you did.