Hi, I asked my doctor about muscle cramping and pain that I’m having in my right foot, and he sent me to the EMG lab. Does anybody know what is the procedure here, and how can I prepare to this test?

Hi, I did this test a year ago when I had tingling and pain in my muscles. Doctor suspected that I had a problem with the nerve supply to my foot and leg. EMG is used to diagnose pinched nerves, tarsal tunnel syndrome or inflamed muscles. One or more small needles called electrodes were inserted into my muscle, and then the doctor asked me to contract it. Normal muscles make normal electrical sound, but when there is a nerve damage, the EMG machine shows abnormal activity. I was there for 30 minutes, but it can sometimes last much longer. It is unpleasant feeling when the needle is going through your muscle, and a bruise may appear at the needle stick site. When I got there, the doctor explained me everything about EMG, and I had to sign a consent form to do the procedure. There are not many things you should know about preparing to this test. Take a shower and do not put any body lotions on your skin.