Hi, I have a question about a drug called Enablex. You see, I was prescribed this drug by my doctor when I went to see him about a small bladder problem. I thought I have some kind of an infection, but the doctor said my bladder problem is actually an overactive bladder and that this medicine will help me deal with it. I am forty years old woman. Is it possible to develop this condition at this age? And more importantly will the drug help me with this problem?

Hi, an overactive bladder is a condition usually diagnosed in older people, but it doesnt mean that younger people cannot suffer from it too. The main symptom of overactive bladder, or urge incontinence, is a sudden need to urinate. This is caused by an involuntary contraction of muscles of the bladder. The contractions cannot be controlled. Because sometimes urinary infections can also make you urinate more often, it is understandable why you thought that an infection is your problem. Because the bladder control is a very complex process that involves a great neurological control, it is very hard to determine the exact cause of the problem. However, there are many methods of dealing with this unpleasant situation. Drugs are one of the things that could help you. Enablex is a drug from a group of drugs called anticholinergics. Basically, what these drugs do is the relaxation of muscles. Because the problem whit an overactive bladder is muscle contraction then you can see that Enablex can be very helpful. But, because cholinergic nervous system controls a number of other functions, side effects like dry mouth and dryness of the eyes are very common. You should talk to your doctor about other treatment options. Kegel exercises are a great way to strengthen your pelvic floor muscles. Until you are able to learn to control these muscles on your own, Enablex is a good way to keep your bladder under control.