My skin sucks. I have dry flaky areas all over with often acne breakouts. I use moisturizer and cleanser, but they don't help. I'm considering to try exfoliating but I'm not sure if it will make acne worse or better. Also I'm worried that my skin may become more drier. What do you think? Is exfoliating good idea? Can you recommend any solution?

I've been using Neutrogena Visibly Clear Gentle Exfoliating Wash for about 2 weeks and it's working for me. I'm appying it twice a day, in the morning and in the evening and my skin is looking and feeling better. Applying jojoba oil 2 or 3 times a day could also help. I was using it before, for about 2 weeks and it was also doing quite well. Just apply it on your face and wash it with luke warm water. Another trick for exfoliation of problematic skin is shaving cream or gel. Smear it on your problem areas and leave it on for about 5 minutes, then rinse it away. Massage your skin while rinsing and the skin will roll off. Try these and let us know if they worked.

When you have visably dry skin, its always a good idea to exfoliate at least once a week. In your case, since you're worried about it affecting or causing acne to flare up, you should give it a try and if in that week of you exfoliating you see good results then do it once a week. If it causes any flare ups, try again every other week or once a month. Exfoliating helps to not only remove dry dead skin, but to rejuvenate and give you a healthy glow. I'd recommend using an exfoliating mask, rather a scrub. A scrub will aggravate any acne you may already have and make them worse. A mask is very simple and a lot gentler on sensitive skin. When shopping for a mask, look for ones that have as much natural ingredients as possible. Don't use anything with alocohol or hash ingredients as they will make your dry skin worse. I too have acne proned skin, but when I do a mask every other week it seems to help refresh my skin. I personaly use a brand named Montagne Jeunesse. They have a wide variety of masks for all skin types. I use Mud Pac because I have oily skin and this helps keep it at bay and clear out my pores.  Their very cheap in the stores, so I can imagine them being cheap online as well! Good luck to you and I hope I've helped you with your question :) Take care!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use