my partner is an alcoholic and usually has a stale after smell from all the beer, I'm used to that. But recently his smell has changed to more like the alcohol hand rub/ metho smell all the time, even when asleep or 1st waking up. it's on his breath and i can smell it on his body when he enters the room. I am worried that this smell change could mean that his health is taking a big turn for the worst. Does anyone know if this is a symptom of liver failure?

My husband is,I believe,a "late stage,alcoholic" and has an awful smell about him,all the time! It has gradually become worse over the past couple yrs. We have been together over 10 yrs and he has drank the entire time. Our marriage has been up and down,obviously. He being a drunk,and I am a recovering drug addict of 6 months. He is in complete denial and thinks only I have the problem. He smells so bad now that we don't even sleep together,anymore. He is willing to except it this way. He will sleep on the couch and not with me,because he smells so BAD,yet,he MUST drink his budweiser,every bloody night! He buys an 18 pack and drinks all of it,or almost all in one or two nights! The beer is more important to him than our marriage or anything else in his life. He does'nt even care that he smells! He knows that I am trying to get a job to save money so I can get out on my own....he simple does not care...HOW SAD,HOW SICK.....IS THAT??? 

Adding to my reply above...I did not direct an answer to the question and I meant too.

As for "Liver failure or liver damage" due to alcohol and the abuse of drinking it? Most definetly! From the research I have done,I have found that the "smell" is caused because the liver is unable to process the alcohol as quickly and successfully as it has in the past. The liver is compromised from to my alcohol. THEREFORE,it is starting to deteriorate and this,in part,causes the awful smell. The smell is coming from the individuals pores,breath...bathing and brushing teeth cannot get rid off,nor prevent,the smell.