Has anyone ever seen a case where someone actually goes through extreme weightloss after cardiac by-pass surgery? My brother is only 38, has type 2 diabetes (somewhat controlled with insulin) and had pneumonia for over a month prior to the bypass. After the pneumonia he couldn't eat without vomiting for a month and had his gallbladder removed. During that surgery he flatlined and the doctors discovered that he had serious cardiac issues that had not been diagnosed. His heart was very very weak and a quadruple by-pass was performed with the help of a heartpump. He made it though surgery...his doctors weren't sure if he would. Now it's been 2 months and he hasn't regained any of his energy. His muscles are so sore and he complains of arthritis like pain in his joints, which he's never had before. He's so tired all the time and continues to lose weight. He's lost 30 lbs since the surgery and a total of 70 since he first got the pneumonia. He has a good appetite...he eats every meal but continues to lose weight. He had no signs of infection in his body so that has been ruled out. His cardiologist is concerned now as he's changed his medication a few times and is convinced it is not that. He thinks it could be a blockage that they didn't get during the bypass or possibly cancer. They are doing a heart cath and a cancer screening next week. I can't seem to find any information on line about weighloss after bypass surgery....I guess it's a rare situation. What could it be? He is skin and bones and doesn't have much more weight to lose...and he is getting so depressed because of his fatigue. Anyone ever hear of this?

Weight loss is not uncommon after by-pass.  But have have not come across your brother's situation in my research.  I lost at least 15 pounds.  It has been 15 months and I did not gain it back.  I was not overweight prior to the surgery.  I changed my diet 6 months before the surgery (heart healthy) and started to lose weight then.  I am more active, so that also contributed to the weight loss.  I am at the low end of my recommended body-mass index.  I wish your brother well. 

Have the same issue with my husband have you had any answers