Hello, folks. My friend got a daughter, but it seems that she has some condition. I think my friend called it albinism. I didn’t want to question them much, but I would like to know what albinism is. It would be great if someone could be nice to answer my question. Thanks.

Hello. Albinism belongs to the group of inherited disorders. It is the complete or partial lack of skin pigment – melanin. As a result, there is a hypopigmentation. There is no pigment on one’s skin or eyes. Since melanin has a protective role from ultraviolet sunlight, these people are very sensitive to it. They have much more chance for developing skin cancer than common people. Eyes are also affected and these people usually have poor vision. There is no cure for albinism, but these people can take some steps to avoid sun exposure. They can even try to improve their vision. They are not limited in intellectual development.