Hello, good people. My child was born several days ago and doctors diagnosed him an albinism. I know that this is a genetic disorder and that my child should be aware of sun exposure. Are there some precautions for him regarding this subject? I would really appreciate all your replies. Bye!

Hi, there. Your child will have to protect himself from the sun. He should wear low vision aids. By that, I mean he should use contact lenses, glasses, magnifiers or telescopes. Sun exposure should be limited to a short period of time. Too much exposure can lead to skin cancer. These people develop easier skin cancer than others. He should also wear special clothes when is out. He should wear long pants, shirt with long sleeves and a hat, even in the summer. When he starts with school, his teachers should be informed about the nature of albinism and limitations it brings to a child. I hope I’ve helped.