Hello, folks. My friend has been suffering from myopia for ages. However, lately she has been experiencing light sensitivity. I would like to know whether this is in any way related to her myopia or it is something else. I would appreciate all your advices. Thanks for all your help, guys.

Hello. Light sensitivity is also known as photophobia. Photophobia wouldn’t be related directly to myopia. I would say that maybe some other factors are involved. When we say photophobia with women, the first thing that can occur to someone is migraine. Your friend should visit neurologist. Troubles with cornea, uvea or retina can also be possible factors. There are some other factors that are more serious like meningitis. In any case, your friend must consult a doctor. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!

Hi there,
I am not sure if the myopia can really cause light sensitivity. I know that in myopia causes the light to enter in your eye under a different angle but I didn’t hear that this can also cause problems with light sensitivity. Do you know if this can be caused by some other condition? How long have you been having this problem? I think that you should try to use darker glasses to avoid myopia problems and problems with light sensitivity. You need to see your doctor to determine what is the real cause of your light sensitivity. I hope this helped you in any way.

All the best,
Danella

Yes, there *is* a known link between pathological myopia (info available on a web search) and photophobia/light sensitivity owing to the degenerative changes of photoreceptors in the retina which is in turn linked to changes in the shape of the elongated/stretching myopic eyeball and those effects on the retina.

I am a boy , I am suffering from same , myopia and light sensitivity.