First off, I had my gallbladder removed almost 4 months ago. I never had any symptoms, just woke up one night in agonizing pain and was rushed to the er where they did a hide-a-scan and surgery. I have been fine up until 2 weeks ago when I started to get a dull constant pain, right under my ribs. I went to the ER, they did a CT scan and blood work, then sent me on my way. I saw my gastroenterologist a few days later and he thought I could possibly have rib pain... (which I didn't believe). 3 days ago a new sharp stabbing pain has started. It is underneath my ribs on the right side and radiates around to my back. It is unbearable! I have to stop whatever I am doing and sit down. I get nauseated and sometimes even throw up. I went back into the ER last night, they did blood work, gave me pain meds, and sent me on my way. I don't know what is going on!! I am waiting on a call back from my gastroenterologist (they said they may do an ultrasound).

Has anyone experienced this? Know what it could be? My first thought was gallstones left behind in the duct, but I don't know.

The first one that came to mind to me too was gall-stones or blocked bile ducts that remained even after gallbladder was removed. But, I've had the same horrible experience of waking up in agonizing pain and ending up with stomach surgery, it wasn't gallbladder, but a burst stomach ulcer. And since now that your gallbladder is removed, the bile goes directly to your stomach and depending on medications and diet you are on now (pain medications could contribute very much to this), it could be acid reflux that has escalated to the point of GERD. The results will show if it is that, and it turns out, from so many similar stories with gastro-problems, that it easily can be more than one thing, meaning that everything is ok with bile ducts, but that stomach acid is going wild now.

I also have the same pains. I have endometriosis. I do not have a right ovary, as it was removed. Every month, the day before my cycle starts, I get the same pains described in other post. Pain, ONLY in my right abdomen, beneath my ribs, which increases with breathing and radiates to my collar bone/neck/shoulder. Sometimes it's so bad i cannot move my arm or talk. The only medicine that has ever completely relieved the pain are birth control pills. Muscle relaxers, loratab, Tylenol did not work.
get an x-ray of your lung to look for "spontaneous pneumothorax" which is caused when endometriosis attaches to the lung and causes a partial lung collapse every month during the menstrual cycle and heals itself. It can be easily missed by a regular ER Physician or Family Practice Doctor especially if they aren't looking specifically for that, as it can be very small on the xray. Additionally, costcochondritis may also be a cause, which is an inflammation of the cartilage between the sternum and ribs. Either way, the only thing that has ever stopped the pain was taking birth control pills.

I had my Gallbladder removed almost 2 yrs ago and am still experiancing that type of pain. I did not have gallstones, but had a low functioning gallbladder so I had it removed. I have had several ct scans, two ERCP procedures to put stents in my bile duct and pancreatic duct. After dropping down to 88 lbs thet where removed and I was put on protonics, hydrocodone, cymbalta and lorazapam. After several more specialists, 2 more endoscopic exams, 3 more ct scans and one angio scan they still dont know what is causing the problem. I miss an average of 4 days a month from work because of nausea and vomiting. The pain feels like a baby alien is trying to rip itself out of my right side. Since I also have fibromyalgia the Dr.s blame the pain on that, but they can't explain the nausea nor the reflux that chokes me at night. They are now talking about putting me on a drug that causes parkenson disease like side effects and can seriously damage my central nervous symptom. I feel like they are just throwing drugs at me to see how i react to them. Completely frustrated with the medical community

it sounds like ibs i have the same problem and my gastro diagnosed me with ibs but my pains are on the left

I had my gallbladder out 4 years ago. For the past 7 months,EVERYDAY,I've had the same pain had CT scan,ultra sound, 2 MRIs. Still don't know. Pain is constant,get nauseous and no appetite.Let me know if you get an answer,I'll let you know if I do. I'm almost in bed all the time from the pain. House is going to hell. Gotta get a life back.

For those who have had their gallbladder removed, consider taking bile supplements.  Also, the bodies naturally reduces inflammation with magnesium.  Surgery, stress, illness can all draw magnesium out of the body (because it also is the mineral used to flush the body of toxins).  Too little magnesium in the diet along with a calcium/magnesium imbalance can compromise the immune system resulting in inflammation.   I am not a doctor, however, magnesium has greatly helped inflammation issues I have had and ALSO cured severe GERD/acid reflux in which I felt I was having heart attacks and doubled over from abdominal pain.  

I had my gb removed on August 14, 2013 and since then have nothing but weird issues. Constant nagging pain on my right side, flank pain, excruciating lower back pain, chest pain, hoarse voice, terrible nausea. My energy is high but all of these symptoms are draining. I see MD tomorrow so I will report back. Relieved to know I'm not alone.

I have the same symptoms. It has gotten so bad that I have slipped into full blown anxiety and experience panic attacks. This is not the quality of life I was looking for after I had the surgery. 

Has anyone else developed a nagging Reflux cough, that leads to the spitting up of acid filled phlegm? I have and it just adds to the pain of my back, and everywhere else. 

I woke up one morning in more pain than when I delivered my son 8 months prior-upper right quadrant pain.  My husband rushed me to the ER where he was told my gallbladder was so full of stones it was starting to rupture!  Luckily though the surgery was still able to be done via laparoscopy.  I went home the following day.  Three days later, the pain was even more intense, wrapping around to my back and I couldn't stop vomiting.  Blood work showed my liver enzymes to be almost 10 times what they should be and I was immediately admitted.  I am 6 years post cholestectomy, and still have problems with my liver enzymes going out of whack.  Every test imaginable has been done with no absolute truth as to why I had this reaction.  Now for the fun.  I was never really a drinker or Tylenol taker and not a huge fan of citrus except orange juice.  I am told this is a common problem with no real answer!  Happens more to women, especially within a year of childbirth.  I am told that many women have liver problems that don't show up on regular testing.  But rear it's ugly head after a gallbladder removal.  Something about the backing up of bile into the liver and causing permanent damage.  A pain psychologist told me the reason we are mostly not informed specifically are for psychosomatic reasons.  If this was happening to men all the time, this probably would not be an issue anymore because a treatment would have been found by now.  Now for the scary.  An untreated STD can cause permanent scarring on your liver and leave adhesions.  Endometriosis can leave adhesions.  My pain never seems to follow a specific time pattern.  I've learned to breathe through it and take the meds to help keep my liver my own.  You will never hear me say it is all in your head, but there is a certain amount that can be amplified by anxiety.  Never let them make you feel bad for being scared by your pain, but don't let your pain rule you.  Hang in there!!

what did your dr end up saying was wrong? Im having similar issues