I am having a tonsillectomy done on August 18. I was reading some of the recovery stories on here and was a bit horrified as I am extremely afraid of vomiting. I expect to be in a lot of pain especially the 2nd day after surgery. Am I going to want to drink water, let alone swallow period? What kinds of soft foods can I eat that will keep my nausea in check? What can you do to rid the nasty taste in your mouth when scabs are forming where your tonsils once were? Is there any pain medication that won't cause nausea or vomiting when taking it with soft foods? Are popsicles an option? I know ice cream is not, because it forms a film of mucus over your throat. Can someone describe the discomfort you feel if there is any without swallowing? I know everyone is different but I would like to get an estimate on when I would start to feel better. You know, human. Will these recurrent sinus problems go away? I saw my ENT's note and it said i had nasal polyps so I suspected I might need my adenoids removed but he called me and said that is not necessary. Although, I had more sore throats than I had sinus issues. Oh and tonsil stones. Can't forget those. So, can people share their stories with me? And be honest, don't leave out any details. I want to know what I'm going to be facing.

I had my tonsils removed on monday (today being thursday). To be honest it was no where as near as bad as i thought. The worst part is coming round from the op, my mouth was so dry and I had pain in my jaw. My advice would be to stock up on plenty of ice lollies, not ice cream ones, things like fruit pastille lollies (not with a high real juice content because this will burn your throat). and drink loads and loads of ice cold water. I've also found sugarfree chewing gum helpful, as you will have a nasty taste in your mouth. I started eating the same day as my op, small amounts of mashed potato and gravy, scrambled eggs and toast (although its more like warm bread), just to get rid of the build up in the back of your throat. Take your painkillers regularly, don't wait for the pain to set in!!!!! I was quite suprised by the ear and jaw ache but if you stay on top on the pain relief you'll be fine. Mornings are the worst, have a good rinse round of your mouth with water before you drink anything. I'm still pretty tired too, cat napping a lot during the day. It does hurt but no worse than tonsilltis (I'm 31 by the way - its meant to be worse the older you get). I had the tonsil stones and frequent infections, the pain is worth just getting rid of the stones - how disgusting they are!!!!! Good luck, just remember don't let your throat dry out, it will hurt to swallow but it'll be so much worse if it gets dry!!!!xx
PS - i was terrified of vomitting but I havent so far and havent had any nausea either, small amounts of food, little and often will help this.

Thank you so much for that. So, did you take your pain meds ever 4 hours then? When you awoke from the surgery, did they feed you before administering the pain medications? I wouldn't want to take any without eating. I have never had surgery and I heard aneshesia can make you nauseous. Was it hard to swallow anything even water though? Oh and I'm going to laying on a couch at my parents house so my mother can look after me since this is my first surgery. I heard that you have to keep your head elevated above your heart when you lay down and sleep. I wonder how I can do that on a couch, because there is no bed available for me. So, did you stock up on certain items before the op too? How much gum did you buy? What else did you eat besides mashed potatoes with gravy and scrambled eggs? Do you know if its safe to rinse out your mouth wish salt water but not gargle? Yeah, I was hoping it wasn't actual toast you were talking about. That would hurt. I also heard that when you have any surgery, you're more susceptible to illness. Is that true? How bad was the ear and jaw ache? I have had an ear infection months ago thinking it was my throat. God, that was painful! Did you have to get up through the course of the night to take your pain meds? Are they liquid and were you issued an antibiotic to prevent infection? Which one was it? Sorry, I have more questions but I truthfully do not want to do this. So, I want to be as comfortable as humanly possible for when I go through with it. Did you use any heating pads as well?

Hi, I'm Leah, I'm 16 and I had my tonsils out 6 days ago now. I was absoloutly petrified, especially about throwing up, but I told my anaethisist and he gave me loads of anti sickness (which worked)!! I cried all the way up to the anaesthetic room. Then, I woke up,
My throat felt a bit dry and slightly sore (but no worse than a normal sore throat). I told the lady in recovery (who was lovely) and she gave me some morphine which took any pain at all away and gave me water which I was fine to drink. I was then taken back to my room, where I was on a drip and once I came off it, I still felt fine :-) and the nurse gave me a sandwhich, bag of crips, tub of pineapple and a digestive biscuit. I ate all of it and it caused me no pain, just felt slightly weird to swallow. I had to be kept in overnight as my operation wasn't until late. I was in no pain up until bed time. I woke up in the night my throat started to feel sore and the nurse gave me ora-morph and I fell back asleep again. I woke up about 6 and again wasn't in pain. My doctor came round and gave me some Difflam (a mouth wash that you gargle- it is a local anaesthetic and numbs the throat) and it stung a little. I was then discharged from the hospital and given co-codamol (30mg), diclofenac, the difflam garggle stuff and antibitocis. I was advised to eat toast, cornflakes, and breaded stuff, which I didn't feel to happy about. These first two days were very misleading. I slept through the whole of that night but woke up in a fair bit of pain and took my painkillers and my mum tried to make me eat special K (as it is rough) and it was agony, I had to eat though as my nurse told me I had to eat to be able to take my anti-inflamatory tablets andd my anti-bitocis. I managed to eat half a bowl and then gave up. The rest of the day went on where I'd be fine for a couple of hours and then in agony and I was trying to eat at least three times a day (so I could take my medication) at lunch I had mac and cheese (luke warm) which was fine and just slid down and at dinner I was in agony and my mum gave in and gave me ice cream (BIG MISTAKE- dairy creates mucus, making you want to cough, which hurts like hell and can make you bleed). From then on days 3 and 4 I had extreme thoat and jaw pain and I didn't want to eat at all but wasn't too bad drinking water. I felt a little bit sick. I stuck to eating foods like mac andd cheese and mashed up weetabix in cold milk. Now on day 6 I have the worst ear pain ever and not even the pain med is getting rid of it :-( its agony! On the bright side, my scabs have fallen off on my left side :-) MY ADVICE IS:
Drink loads of ice cold water!!! And yesterday I managed to drink luke warm tea! No Fizzy drink or acidic drinks like orange juice!
Eat decent food but don't push yourself too far I am eating: mac and cheese, weetabix, popsicles, chewing gum is ok, biscuits that have been dipped in tea or milk to make them soggy, cream of chicken soup, you get the idea.
An ice pack is great at night on your kneck
Keep on top of all your medication!
Rest!
Keep yourself occupied, watch a film, listen to music, draw a picture, chat to friends online, don't just lay there beause all you focus on is the pain.
Don't talk too much, rest your mouth to avoid an aching jaw.

As I live in the UK they advice us to eat rough stuff (I.e toast) but I decided to go in the middle and eat food but soft stuff and its doing me great :-):-)

Hope I helped, just relax, you'll be fine, let everyone around you know you'll probably be abit miserable and may need a shoulder to cry on and that you'll need support and help! Xxx

IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO EASE THE EAR PAIN PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS NOTHING IS WORKING!

Keep on top of all your medication!
Rest!

Keep on top of all your medication!
Rest!

Keep on top of all your medication!
Rest!

Hi, I'm 37 and just had my tonsils out this past Monday (today is Friday). It wasn't as bad as I thought. I'm not so tired anymore but today is the ear pain, but even that isn't as bad as I thought unless it's going to be worse tomorrow. The only question I have as of right now is eating. I would like to try soft foods like mashed potatoes but the thing I'm worried about is doing damage to the surgical area. I'm not so much afraid of it hurting going down I just don't want to mess up any healing. Any advice from those who have started eating already?