Hi, I'm 37 years old and having a tonsillectomy on 5/6. I've read all the posts online but wondering if I need someone here to take care of me 24/7 and for how long. I realize that the pain gets quite severe around days 3-9. So I'm wondeirng if it's worth flying someone across the country to help out. What do you think? thank you!

Personally I would say yes. Not necessarily 24/7, but someone there to help get drinks and stuff, plus comfort you and listen to you whine! I am also 37 and am now about 2.5weeks post Op. I do not regret having it done at all, but will not pull any punches with you - it was a brutal 2 weeks, and I am still not fully recovered. I am back at work, but I tire out much faster (I have a physical job too, so it's a bit of a pain!) and I STILL have a sore throat - although nothing like it was. I spent 10 days on the sofa, and ate little else other than ice chips and soup, and that was agony to eat. Getting up to go to the bathroom left me exhausted. Some people seemto bounce thru his Op like it's nothing, but for me it was horrible, and without having someone there to help I woul dhave hated it even more!!

I am a 40 year old female and 5 days post op. To be honest, I'd rather be left alone to heal, but my 6 and 7 year old children are insisting on helping me feel better. My pain level is very tolerable and I have not taken pain meds. (I have a high pain tolerance.) No bleeding, nausea, etc. The worst thing I did was read all the stories and comments about people who had horrible stories to tell. That scared me more than the operation itself. I drink a ton of water (no juice as it dries my throat) and have been eating soft foods. It will feel like you have something stuck in your throat, but if you swish a little cool water in the back of your throat, it will help. My best advice is to drink, drink, drink. Make sure your urine is staying light in color - If your urine is darker you are not drinking enough fluids. The more you drink, the better your throat will feel. Moisture helps. I also have a humidifier in my bedroom. - This has been helpful especially since I am now snoring when I sleep (due to the swollen tongue.) All in all, I am ready to go back to work. I can't wrestle with the kids just yet, and it's hard to talk at times, but it is well worth it. Keep popsicles, pudding, eggs, light bread and other soft foods on hand. You will want to make sure you eat things that can dissolve. I have a protein drink each morning (mixed with soy milk...not my favorite, but it beats the alternative right now) which helps keep the hunger at bay. Keep yourself occupied and give yourself less time to dwell on the negative. Read, write, work on photo albums, etc.

hi, I undergone my surgery on may 6 and now I believe has passed the worst part of the recovery. It is true that pain escalates normally after 3rd or 4th day and it doesn't get any better before day 7. But it is definitely possible to handle the recovery yourself. Here is some reccomendations on how to handle it alone.

- effective painkillers.

What u need more than anything is the right painkiller for u. I am very tolerant to paracetamol. Doc has prescripted paracetamol codine. Basically, it was pretty ineffective. I coped fine for 3 days as the pain then was very insolated to swelling and swallowing. But the pain escalates daily from day 4. The pain will become persistent and no longer isolated. In this phase, u r prone to bleeding as the scabs begin to fall off bit by bit. It was completely punishing and extremely painful. Pain wil extend down your neck and jaws to the ears. U may develop a persistent headache which untreated will make u terribly nausea. After enduring the extreme pain for a day, I decided to see my doc for a more effective painkiller. I was given cataflam. It worked very well for me. each dosage gave me 5 hours of min pain. Recommended dosages is 50mg 3 times daily. But, it has to be taken with food to protect the stomach.

- Nursing the swelling, ease breathing

Just rest in a seated position and ice your neck with a ice collar as regularly as possible.

- Getting ice water available.

It helps that u keep several bottles of water in the freezer. Get an insultion bag for the bottle to keep it stay cold for hours. This will give u continuous ice cold water accessible by your bedside. Drink as often possible.

- get a blender and protein supplement

I read numerous people sticking to energy drinks and ice cream. And then later switching to eating hard foods like pizza and toast.

It's really easy to prepare a suitable meal yourself. Boil some rice, oat meal with fish or minced meal and some veg such as carrots. Blend it and dilute with enough water and ice. Ready made canned food normally contain too much salt and it will hurt the throat.

For the protein supplement, u can add milk and blend with oat meal.

- Set your alarm to wake up from your naps and drink lots of water

I'm 25 and had mine out 12 days ago. I live alone and didnt require any help. I had friends come over to cheer me up cos the first 7 days were horrible but once the nausea and throwing up stopped, I felt better. The real pain came in around day 7, but I thought the pain was so much easier to handle then the nausea (and the gross taste in the back of the throat). everyday it has gotten a little better and I'm back at work. on day 9 I was thinking it was gonna last forever, but 3 days later and I am feeling great.
you might not need the help, but it can't hurt having somebody there with you, to make you feel better! :-)