Hey everyone. Over the last couple weeks, I've had a recurring problem and I'm not sure what it is or if I should worry. I'd LIKE to avoid seeing a doctor if it can be cleared up easily.

I've noticed at seemingly random times, but mainly when I'm erect that I get what looks like dead skin on the shaft of my penis. Below are the details:

1. Not itchy, or sore.
2. Washes off easily, even wipes off easily dry. 
3. Nothing below it on the penis surface, no sores or cuts, etc.
4. Only visible when I pull back the foreskin (so it's under the foreskin, on the shaft below the head)
5. I masturbate regularly, maybe once a week.
6. Girlfriend of 4 years and I were virgins before each other, and have had no problems before.
7. Use condoms during sex, never a problem before, always same kind. 

Any ideas?

The white flakes may simply be dead skin cells that have sloughed off, or – if they are coming from under the foreskin – they actually be a substance called smegma, which is essentially an accumulation of skin cells and body oils. Washing regularly should take care of the problem; you may also want to consider a penis health crème (health professionals recommend Man1 Man Oil) with skin-friendly nutrients and moisturizers to help keep the skin clean, clear and smooth.