I have made a consult appointment with Dr. Kanodia for June 26th. I am flying in from Alaska. I am planning to go through with the surgery somewhere mid-August if all goes well. He is highly reputable and I trust that he would do the best job possible. I have breathing obstruction due to a childhood break that occured during a snowmobiling accident. I wanted to talk to someone and see if this would be an insurable procedure, how they determine that it is in fact insurable and if it is fully covered of partially. I do not want to pay $15,000.00 for my surgery. I have estimated that I can save up about $10,000.00 before the surgery just in case I have to pay it but I am a college student and I really don't have the resources to pay for the entire surgery. His office said they could try and bill it. I am double insured under Premera Blue Cross. Please let me know if this will help me out.

I also have an appt w/ Kanodia in late July. From what I've read, it'll probably cost $12K for a primary rhinoplasty. If you have a deviated septum or other complications, that's extra. However, these complications are often considered medically necessary procedures. As a result, if you have a PPO insurance, they will pay for some of it.

To illustrate this, I'll explain the way Dr. Nassif broke it down in my appt w/ him. He gave me two quotes--one for the primary rhino and the other for the septoplasty (the procedure to fix a deviated septum). They can only bill the insurance for the septo quote, not the rhino. When calculating the quote for each, they estimate the amount of time necessary in the operating room for each procedure. For example, I was told by Nassif, that the rhino would take appx 1.5 - 2 hrs. The septo would take appx. 1 hr. The doctor will perform the septo first and the first hour of the procedure costs, e.g., facility fees, anesthesia, will fall under the septo quote, not the rhino. The benefit of this is that the first hour of anesthesia is the most expensive. (For Nassif, the first hour costs $400/hr. Every hour thereafter is $100). This is because the first hour requires more of the drug. After the first hour, all they need to do is monitor you and ween you off. Thus, the first and most expensive hour is billed to the insurance.

Hence, you'll still have to pay for the rhino, but at least it'll be a discount on the anesthesia. Different doctors may do things differently, so I can't speak as to Kanodia's practices, but I imagine that it's not that different. I just thought I'd put this info out there in case it was of use to you.

Lastly, I don't think that you'll be able to book the surgery date that soon after the consult. I'm estimating 3-4 full months. He only does 6 surgeries/week. That's roughly 24/month. I'm sure there are plenty of ppl who are trying to book him. Common vacation times are the most popular, e.g., spring break & summer vacation for students, Thanksgiving, Christmas. That might actually be a good thing, though, if you need extra time to save up money. If you're trying to do it so no one notices, do what the rest of Hollywood does, get a dramatic hair cut/color. It'll distract ppl and make them think that THAT's what's different about you.

Good luck to you. Let me know how it goes. I personally can't wait for my consult. Feel free to email me if you have any questions,

**edited by moderator**