This post is an extension of the
Recommendations about dr. Raj Kanodia thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I just read a post from the lady that ended up going with Dr. David Kim in Beverly Hills. I also had a consultation with him recently (about a month ago), and he was so disinterested in the whole process and sort of had a "whatever" attitude, that it turned me off immediately. He was the very first dr. that i had consulted with about rhinoplasty, so i didn't really know what to expect. He didn't look into my nosetrills to see if there's any deviation, or anything. Just sort of touched my nose for a quick second and told me i have thin skin, which is a good thing!!?? Of course, i ended up going to a number of other surgeons for consultations, and each and everyone of them at least examined my nose from the inside to see if i have any breathing issues (which it turned out i do have a noticeably deviated septum). I mean how unprofessional is that???

So anyway, even if i thought i would have a 100% guarantee of a good result cosmetically, i would still not go to him, just because of that attitude. It seems like the same goes for Dr. Kanodia as far as his manners are concerned. I'm sure there are people out there who don't care about that, however, for me it is very important to put my trust in a person who at least can manage a smile once in a while :-)

Just my 2 cents...

I too have a bad experience to report. I saw Dr. K in 2007 and paid 200 for a consult...I did not book the surgery right away because I did not have the money to pay the deposit - which is half of the cost of the surgery. I think it was 14000 that he orginally quoted. I saw him and liked him at first. He as pretty nice and seemed to nail all of my concerns about my nose without my having to say much. I did find him slightly arrogant but did not mind since clearly he is well-respected and confidence isn't a bad thing.

In the Spring of 2008, I had some cash in the bank and I wanted to book the surgery...However, when I contacted the woman who schedules the operations, she had no record that I had ever been there. They had lost my file. I ended up making another consult appointment. I got there and had a very different impression. He spent about one second talking to me about my nose...changed his comments from the year before - (he had said he wanted to refine the tip but this time said my tip was fine), never went over the photos his assistant took of me, never offered to show me any pictures (hadn't offered the first time either)...and was more intent on giving me botox and getting me out of there than spending time with me. He also convinced me to get juvederm in my cheeks (which I don't believe I ever needed since I am relatively young, have full cheeks and good skin) - which made absolutely NO difference on the way I look - except perhaps to make me look puffy...He then charged me 1500$ for the visit. He also told me that my nose surgery would cost 18000 - 4000 more than he had quoted just one year earlier.

The fact is - the guy is in demand because he was on TV and has done a few celebrities - and given the law of supply and demand, he can charge outrageous prices while being an arrogant arse and people will still pay. I think his ego has gotten the better of him and it makes me sad because I know he used to be good and he has changed and I am now not sure who to get to do my surgery.

So - if anyone has any suggestions, I am interested...

As an aside - After seeing him, I heard some terrible things about him from people in the beauty business in LA. They said that he actually brings in other doctors to perform some of his surgeries without telling his patients (like breast augmentation). Another criticism I have heard is that he makes peoples' noses too short - which destroys facial symettry. Now this is just what someone told me...but worth thinking about.

I am still confused though...if he is the best, then is it not worth it to put up with the money and the attitude? Or - is his lack of bedside manner indicative of a lack of care? I don't know. Would like to hear something positive as there has been a lot of negative feedback (people generally write more when they are pissed).

I've been reading the posts about Dr. Kanodia because I had Rhinoplasty surgery three weeks ago with another doctor, and was wondering if I should've gone with Kanodia. What's done is done and no point in thinking that way, but reading the posts helped me be OK with my choice.

I actually consulted with Dr. Kanodia last year. It took 7 months for me to get the appointment, and was charged $100 (though was told $200 over the phone). Anyway, I went in, the nurse took pictures, and a few minutes later, the Dr showed up. He stuck that metal thing inside my nose (do they clean that thing?), did some quick measurements with his fingers, told me that I didn't need the surgery (but proceeded), and then gave me a mirror to show him what was bothering me about my nose. He said he'd make some minor changes, and said the reason I feel my nose is bigger now is because i lost some baby fat on my cheeks, so the nose looks bigger (!!), and suggested getting Juvederm as well.

We then went to his office, and on a piece of paper with nose drawing, he marked the areas he'd operate on, and that was it. We were done. I think I was with him for a total of 10-15 minutes. We never saw the pictures the nurse took. We probably would've talked in more detail at the next appointment if I decided to schedule the surgery, but the consultation is when one would make a decision to proceed or not, and even though it was fine, it wasn't great. He wasn't rude, but just seemed rushed. I liked that he said he'd make minor changes, but I would've liked to learn more about what he'd do and go over the pictures. I am very picky, and I usually have questions so like to go with a doctor that has the time to talk with his patients, and I didn't sense that was the case with him. Oh, he also said that he'd need to brake the nose, which I did not like. I did not have too much bone showing, so didn't think breaking was necessary. So even though his before and after pictures are great, and he's well known and all, I left the consultation feeling just OK. I think that if he really cared to get patients, he would spend more time with them, but since he's well known, he doesn't worry about that. So that, and the $18K fee (for minor changes!!!) made me decide to continue looking for a surgeon.

I also consulted with Dr. Ellenbogen (who I think was also on Dr. 90210), but left the office feeling depressed. He started by saying I was beautiful, but then came up with so many things he wanted to change. He seemed to be the opposite of Dr. Kanodia in that he wanted to make many changes.

But I finally decided to go with Dr. Bradley at UCLA. He is calm, very nice, and was patient enough to answer my many questions. He sounded like Kanodia in that he wanted to make minor changes, but the fee was much more reasonable (9K less). We went over the pictures during consultation, and he listened to what I didn't like about my nose. Oh, and that metal thing that they stick in the nose during consultation was wrapped and sealed :-) The nurses there are extremely nice .. and not scary looking (don't have that over done face that I so at the other two consultations).

It's now three weeks after surgery, and at this point, I feel that the changes are more than i had originally wanted. Would Dr Kanodia have done a different job, I don't know! But I also know that I'm still swollen and need to give it time to heal (my healing is slow). I've seen Dr. Bradley twice already, and will see him again next week, so that will make it three times within a month after surgery (I like that). But I sense that if I go back to Dr. Bradley and tell him that I'm really unhappy about something, that he'd work with me. Reading the posts here, Dr. Kanodia would probably kick me out of the office :-)

The thing is, I know people who paid 5K for rhinoplasty, and the results are great. Some who posted here paid 18K and were unhappy. Maybe the likelihood of being unhappy with Dr. Kanodia is less, but it's still possible. So I don't know, there's always a risk. Pick the doctor that makes the most sense to you and what you want and hope that you'll be happy with the results.

And I hope that all you out there who have rhinoplasty are better at dealing with it than I am. I went into major depression afterwards. Not because my nose looks bad, but it looks more different than I had hoped it would be.

Leeesa,

It is going to take you one full year until your nose is set for your new look. Courtney Cox said it best "only 5% of people can get away with plastic surgury.

Thanks, wolfman. Yeah, i don't have the stomach for this kind of stuff, so I hope I never have to do this again. Everybody is telling me that same thing: that I'm still healing and I need to give it time. But I cannot imagine the shape changing much from what I see now. I mean, the swelling will go away, but the shape that I see now will pretty much be it. Right? Oyyy, I have to find a way to deal with this. Thanks again.

I was horrified after my surgery. I looked like a monster. Not only was my nose tip 4x its original size. My entire face was swelled for a long, long time. I never thought it would get better but the swelling went down. especially in the tip. Although, I lost some hair because of the surgery.