I have always been a night runner, but this is not always convenient with having a busy life, and wanting to spend time with family in the evenings. Additionally, most races are in the morning so it doesn't translate well to race times. I have tried to switch over to morning runs several times over the past few years, but I can never do it. I don't understand why this is.

Right now, I just started back up running again and I can run 4-5 miles easily when I run at 8pm. This morning I attempted to run and I couldn't even run a single mile without walking!! This isn't an isolated incident either, this is an extremely common occurrence whenever I attempt an early run.

I have tried waking up an hour before, getting a light breakfast and some tea in me waiting for it to digest and then going. I have tried eating a power bar waiting 15-20 minutes and then heading out, and I have also tried skipping breakfast all together. Nothing works.

Any advice as to why this is or how I can fix it??? I really want to be able to get my run in in the morning and be able to enjoy the rest of my day, knowing I already accomplished it.

Hey I don't know if it will help, but I have the same problem with running in the morning. I've tried many different types of meals prior to and experimented with timing from 2 hours prior to 30 minutes prior to run/race time. I run much better times and feel better mid-afternoon to evening, but it is rare to find an evening race. I'm usually a proponent of eating as healthily as possible, but I discovered one day that I felt great after eating a corn dog for breakfast 30 minutes prior to run, not oatmeal, not fruit, not yogurt... a corn dog. I'm wondering if it has something to do with digestion time (processed food digests more quickly?) and the fact that our bodies actually burn fat for aerobic exercise as well as carbs, so having a low/ no fat diet is not good for us. I've also read that depending on your bodies personal preference and circadian clock, you may have more energy reserves at a different time of day than is typical for most people due to changes in the levels of chemicals and hormones in the body in the morning versus the evening. other things that have helped me in the morning include peanut butter jelly sandwiches, and breakfast sandwiches with protein. I find that a small meal with protein, fat, and carbs that are not hard to digest has been my best bet for feeling better running in the AM. I don't know if this will help, but at least you know you aren't the only one with this problem. I would love to see more afternoon and evening races though, that's for sure.

Hope I don't make anyone mad by proposing that we eat corndogs lol but this is honestly just what has worked for me.

Good luck to you!

Denise29

I know running in the mornings is tough. I have been at it for over 20 years and early morning runs have never been easy..too boot I am in the military so have had to learn to accept getting up early.

Your doing the right things, although I don't have the best answers you just have to keep motivated and your goals in mind, those are always big motivators for me.

Keep it up
Nate

probably the reason you are better at night is after a whole day, you have absorbed loads of energy from your food throughout the day. Plus, waking up in the morning to run always sucks. as you are tired and have not fully "awoken" or started up your body. thats my little theory for myself, as i do have the same problem!