My question is this, statistically how likely, as a man, is it to contract hiv from my sexual partner when the condom breaks. I am gay man considered "all top". I don't give oral sex and I don't receive anal sex. A few months ago I was engaged in anal sex with a guy that I did not know particularly well. Sometime during the act the condom broke. I did not discover the breakage until after both of us had "finished". I have many friends who are much more active than I am and their hardline as always been that transmission from bottom to top is statistically minimal assuming there are no cuts on the appropriate parts. Is this just a convenient justification for them or is it really considerably less likely to get hiv from my receiving partner? Because I'm not particularly active and because I was in a LTR for 16 years, I am a bit ignorant to the facts. Now I'm plagued by this accident.

You are able to contract HIV, but your friends are right, it's much more difficult for you to get it than for the receiving partner. Also, if he there was blood or pus from him, it is more likely for you to get it.

Not only that, receiving HIV may take more than one time. The chances increase the more contact you receive.

Contact an HIV center and see how long you need to wait to get tested.

Thanks for the feedback. I had already scheduled the appointment and had my blood drawn for the HIV testing when I posted my concerns. I am thrilled to say that everything came back negative. Still, the one good thing that came out of it is a conscious effort to be extremely careful. Maybe spending more quality time getting to know someone before just getting down to the nitty gritty!