I was diagnosed earlier today with anal warts, which has me very confused.

The doctor said there's really only one way to get it, direct contact.

I've never had anal sex with anyone, giving or receiving. I've never been with a man. I've been with my girlfriend for two years and only been with her, and only had sex with a condom.

There are a large number of very small lumps (the warts) around the rectum - they're small but I've checked and am pretty certain I don't have any on my penis or genitals.

I understand this is a fairly common thing but can't figure out how I possibly could have gotten it.

Is there any possible way I have been misdiagnosed? Is there another disease that could have the same symptoms?

The doctor says he will treat them with some kind of acid - will that be the end of it? Will they return and have to be removed again and again? How long will I have them? Is the virus something seperate that I need to worry about on top of getting rid of the warts?

HPV (human Papiloma Virus ) that causes warts will probably just cause warts. In females, there are two types of HPV that can cause cervical cancer but not in men.
Every time your immune system weakens you may be suspected if developing warts again after having them removed. Since it is a virus, it is almost impossible to get rid of it as it hides in the spine and occasionally causes symptoms.

Some sources say that our immune system could get rid of the virus as well, but I can’t say that with certainty.

It doesn’t matter you didn’t have anal sex, you could have gotten them from vaginal sex as well. Condoms are not 100% protection because the virus is spread by skin to skin contact. I am not sure how come you didn’t notice any on your girlfriend? Has she been tested? She should.

I heard a story in which a young 14 virgin female got infected after trying jeans in a store. The story comes from a nurse who worked at the urino-genital clinic, so she wouldn’t made the story up.

It is essential that your girlfriend gets checked as well. If she doesn’t have any, you may seek second opinion.