Hello, folks. I have a friend that constantly scratches his eyes. I am afraid he will damage them. I wonder whether it is possible to tear cornea with scratching. I know that my question might sound to you silly, but you haven’t seen my friend. He is constantly scratching. Thanks for answering. Bye!

Hello to you too. Scratching eyes is not so recommended. I doubt your friend could tear his cornea. Nevertheless, he can make some small damages in cornea. This damage is called ulcer. This ulcer can be sterile or infectious. Infectious ones are very dangerous. They are very painful. If they are caused by a bacterium called Pseudomonas, a person can even lose his vision in 24 to 48 hours. I suggest your friend go and see an ophthalmologist. Just in case! I hope he will stop scratching.

Hi there,
I think that you can do this by scratching. There is a condition that is known as corneal abrasion. This is a painful scrape or scratch of the surface of the clear part of the eye. You have to understand that this is dangerous and that he has to stop doing this. There are minor and sever cases. If he has a severe case than he will need to see a doctor in order to fix this problem. However he should try to control his scratching of the eyes in order to avoid any problems in the future. How long has he been doing this? I hope this helped you in any way.
Best wishes,
Marco