Hey guys.

How are you?

I am a little bit worried about my puppy. I was playing with him whole afternoon. He was so playful because he is finally healthy and I let him to play outside a lot.

When he came at home it was time for a bath. I was bathing him and I saw that there was a little blood when I was cleaning his left ear.

I don’t have a clue what could it be.

Do you have any idea? Is there a reason for me to be worried about it?

Can it be caused by some infection or something else?

Hey Millie,

Don't be too worried, it's going to be just fine like always. :) 

Blood in your dog's ears can be caused by a few things: it can be caused by a trauma, it's the most common cause, usually self-induced by shaking or scratching. It can be caused by a parasite, ticks and mites, sometimes fleas and flies, and all of them can cause bleeding from the ear. Bacterial and fungal infections can cause your dog to scratch his ears, resulting in a trauma that I mentioned above. It can also be an infection of the inner ear, it is the most dangerous cause, I think.

Hi there.

Maybe it is not a blood. Maybe it is just a discharge :) Mima explained nice what can be the cause of it.

But it can be caused by parasites as well. Ticks and mites, fleas and flies can cause bleeding from your dog’s ear. Bacterial and fungal infections are usually the cause of it. It bothers to your dog and he can scratch his ear very aggressively.

He probably hurts his ears at this way.

Just to be sure that everything is OK, check your dog’s ears very closely and try to see are there some lumps and bumps.

Hey guys,

Millie, I think that they have wrote most of the causes of blood in the dog's ear in the posts above, if not all of them.

You need to carefully examine your dog's ear in order to figure out what is happening. In case you can't see anything, don't try to treat it yourself, you can only make things worse. Instead, take your dog to the vet and explain the situation.

In all the cases, this is treated with medications, natural or not, it is the vet's decision. This shouldn't be really dangerous, only in case that your dog has an inner ear infection. That's nasty.

Hey there.

Ouh, I am totally familiar with this problem. My youngest dog is very playful and he has this problem all the time. Usually it is nothing serious. But one time it was serious because he infected his ears.

He was playing outside, the rain was falling and I think that something bites his ear.

He started to scratch his ear with dirty paws and he infected it.  

Tnx God I went to his vet immediately. He cleaned the wound and he gave me some medications. I was putting those medications in his food and everything was fine for a couple of days.

You should not definitely treat it alone.

It happens to me once. I was cleaning my dog ears with cotton and I saw a blood. Just for the record, I didn’t put anything on the cotton. It was dry. First I was sure that I am dealing with dirt from his ear, but it was blood. I was scared because I was new pet owner. I took him to the vet immediately. He told me that this happens all the time. After he checked on him, he told me that my dog has mites in his ears. You should check it, maybe this is the problem with your dog as well.

I wouldn’t say that it is not serious, cause it can be. I suggest you take your dog to the vet and let him examine his ear thoroughly.

I know that when a dog has an ear infection small ulcers can occur in the inner part of his ear.

Flea bites can be the cause too, the bite itself can cause bleeding or it can cause scratching that will eventually lead to bleeding.

So maybe it’s insect bite or some other external injury, and maybe it’s something that has too do with inner part of the ear and can be very serious

My dog has blood in his ear too occasionally. First I thought it might be some serious problem, especially when I saw it for the second time. I totally freaked out cause I thought it might be some external bleeding or something like that.
And then I went to the vet and she told me that there is nothing to worry about and that she will take care of it. Turns out, Bobby was making small injuries while scratching himself and that was the cause of blood in his ear. She suggested an e collar and told me to encourage my dog not to scratch his ears often.