Hi, I have fungal infection of fingernails, called onychomycosis. I work in a restaurant and my hands are always wet, what creates perfect conditions for fungus to develop. I’ve been treating it with topical cream Lotrimin, for 8 months and still it reoccurs all the time. What shall I do?

Hi, I also have fungal infection of my fingernails always reoccurring, because I’m a professional house cleaner. This infection makes my nails thick, discolored and changing their shape. It’s not painful; I would rather say it’s boring. Once, I spread it even to my family members by using the same hand towel. I’ve talked medications for 6 months, orally and topically, to treat it. But I stay uninfected only for a short period of time, and then it comes back again. When I started putting antifungal foot powder in my working gloves, it made some progress; it works if I manage to keep my hands dry. Topical treatment alone usually can not heal nail infections; you should go to see a doctor to give you some antifungal tablets or capsules, like Nystatin, Mycostatin.

I would suggest to you that when you get home from work, wash your hands with an antibacterial soap, dry them thoroughly, and dry your findernails with a hair dryer. I know it sounds hokey, but it dries the nail bed underneath and it helps stop the growth of the fungus. Also, get some Tea tree oil, it's a natural antibiotic that will help dry out the nails and help rid of the fungus. Good luck and don't share towel with anyone, the fungus is highly contagious.