The pediatrician wants me to try 5 day course of systematic steroids for my son’s sinusitis. My concern is that if this is a fungal allergy sinusitis, would the steroids have a bad effect on his condition? I feel certain that steroids should not be used if it is fungal? I am looking for alternative meds for my son’s fungal sinusitis. I need some help.

I think that in case of allergic fungal sinusitis, steroids are given usually after surgery. Oral thrush (fungal sinusitis) will generally recur once you stop antifungal medications unless you can bring your CD4 count up with effective antiretroviral therapy. That's why I was told by my doctor. You need to find the dose of Mycelex required to keep the thrush away and just stay on it. I realize that the package insert for Mycelex tells you to how to do it. Unfortunately, I don’t know any alternative med for fungal sinusitis, but keep looking.

The only therapy I have seen for killing fungi in the sinuses is through boiling water, putting it in a large bowl, and putting drops of essential oils of cinnamon, clove, and thyme in it to be inhaled with a towel over the head. They have to be therapeutic grade oils as there is a huge difference between this and the perfume grade. Sinus Doctor Sinus remedy, which I recently came across sells this, and I ordered some a couple weeks ago. I haven't received it yet b/c the company is based in Crete and it takes about 2-3 weeks to ship to the U.S. from there. You might could buy these oils from another site that only sells high grade essential oils. I would only use about 2-3 drops of each at first.
I have suffered from chronic sinusitis since I was 8 (now 22), and at first dealt with doctors who prescribed steroid sprays, antibiotics, etc. The only relief I have found is through herbs, diet, and exercise.

Best of luck

If you are in the Ft. Myers, Florida area I am an energy work practitioner and have good success with sinus issues.

Diet is essential in any fungal infection. You should avoid all carbs as they feed fungus. Be sure to use a good pro-biotic. There are several natural anti-fungals; wild Oregeno extract, carrot juice, caparylic Acid, etc... Look up Doug Koffman Know the Cause (tv show) he also has many good books on fungal infections. Steroids in general allow fungus to grow more rapidly and antibiotics are often the cause of the fungal infection. Also make sure there is no source of fungis/mold in your enviroment I.E. leaking faucet, roof or window. If natural anti-fungals and diet help but do not eleminate your symptoms you might try some of the prescription meds available. But, in my experience and others I have talked to DIET IS MOST IMPORTANT. You need to get a handle on this because there are lot of other Chronic Illnesess associated with fungus. I had a Chronic Sinus Infection and Chronic Prostitis in my early twentys. The doctors could not get rid of them. The kept giving me antibiotics. I did not get well until I changed my diet. Later in life when I had a flair up (I stopped watching my carbs) I found a product called Yeast Fighters by twin labs to be very effective. God Bless You All!

What did you change your diet to? I have seen different ones like eating raw, and the Candida diet but how far do I actually have to go?