My best friend has been diagnosed with lung cancer. She is about to start a chemo and has been talking on and on for days about gaining weight. She is obsessed that she will gain weight now when she managed to get rid of some before she found out she was ill. The thing is that she really is prone to weight gain. I would really like to help her get her mind off this subject and I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on managing weight during chemo therapy. Thx heaps

Well, the good thing is that your friend is aware of the possibility of gaining weight and may act on it. It would be best if she tried to modify her nutrition, which means that nutritious, low-calorie foods such as vegetables, fruits, low-fat cheeses would be a good idea. She should avoid all concentrated sweets such as sugar, honey, and candy. It would be good if she would start exercising, moderately of course. Walking, swimming, or light aerobic activity may help you to lose the chemo weight, and promote the flow of oxygen in your lungs and blood. You could make sure she participates in activities to take her mind off of food.