Hi everyone,

I came here because I am worried about my girlfriend. She looks really good, she is really hot but she has this crazy fear of gaining weight and I've noticed that she is actually losing weight because of this. I am really afraid that she might end up suffering from anorexia, I know how dangerous this is, that is why I am scared for her.

I figured out that if you find out what is the cause of a fear, then it gets a lot easier to overcome this fear, right? That is what I want to ask you, does anyone know what could be causing her this panic fear of gaining weight?

Most girls think alike, you said that she is hot, I am guessing that she is aware of that and that is why she doesn't want to gain weight. She probably thinks that she won't be hot and attractive anymore and she might even think that you won't love her or be with her anymore if she gains weight, she probably thinks it would make her look ugly or so.

I think that the best thing that you can do about all of this is to talk to her. And eat with her, you could do that as well I guess.

Nina is right, we girls who are skinny don't really want to gain any weight and I myself would do whatever it takes to keep my weight as it is now. Plus, that poor girl is probably afraid that she would lose you or her self confidence if she gains weight, although if her self confidence depends on her weight then she already has some problems with it.

I think that it would be smart for her to talk to her doctor or to a psychologist, it would be better if she would agree to talk to a psychologist, he should be able to help.

Well, to be honest, if she was fat, I definitely wouldn't be dating her. But it is not the deal here, she is not afraid of getting fat, she is afraid of gaining any weight and it is not healthy for her at all, I swear, if she continues to live like this she is going to end up being all bone.

I will try to convince her to talk to a psychologist, I guess if she cares that much about me, she might do this "for me", I will do my best to convince her anyway, I might even make her some company.

You men are such pigs but I guess that girls nowadays are actually the same as you so these girls are bad too, I don't know how would I call them.

She really needs to talk to a psychologist, she needs some professional help so do your best in order to convince her to talk to one. If you succeed, she is likely to get better after regular therapy, you might have to convince her to go to the psychologist every time (twice a week I think) but if this psychologist is really good, she will feel better each time she leaves his office so she will look forward to going to see him every next time.

Oh my God! Now, I am fat and I easily get fat as well, and what? Does that mean that I don't deserve to have someone around me? It is really ignorant to say something like this. Anyway, I agree that she needs to consult the psychiatrist about this issue. Usually, causes of panic fear of gaining weight are usually some traumatic events (when someone is making a fun of you if once you were a fat) and some internal predisposition such as genetics. Pocrescophobia is the fear of gaining weight and that is the fear that this girl has. Look, you should be there for her. She will be much better and she will feel much better with having someone around her, having a support.

It can be very serious and I am glad that you are there for her. You are amazing support for her, trust me. 

She created a false self - image and she is scared. It is bothering her and probably because of this she is not able to function normally. Look, a fear of gaining weight can turn into a life-threatening situation if it is not recognized and treated. You really should talk to her, face to face and explain to her how much you are worried about her. Let her know that you are going to be there even if she is afraid to talk to an expert. 

Panic fear of gaining weight took control over my life when I was a teenage girl. I just don't want to remember that ugly feeling. I had this fear because everyone in my family were huge after 40 and I started to panic. I didn't know what I should do, I started to follow some silly diet programs, even if I was really tiny girl, but I didn't know that this was all in my head. So, I started to lose my weight rapidly because of this. One boy from the college noticed this and he tried to talk to me several times. I accepted it once, and he really helped me. I just want to say that it is OK to have a fear of something, but sometimes that can become an obsession, like it was in my case. Be there for her, like somebody already told you - eat with her. Try to convince her that it is OK to talk to someone who can help her.